Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted earlier in my 1st thread asking for advice on whether to remove or wean early the 2 remaining kittens of litter as 1st was rejected. I've just been to check her food and water before going to bed after feeding rejected kitten and she has the 2 kittens in seperate places but is nowhere near either and wanted fuss (really unusual as shes been really overprotective since 1st kitten had to be removed)
Anyway I had a feel of her nipples while had the chance and they felt a bit hard/dry managed to get her on her back and they're quite red and only some of them have milk in. I don't know what to do and don't like to disturb the vet at 1.30am for advice unless there no-one who can help? Any reassurance helpful or if anyone knows the vet needs to deal with this now and it can't wait until the morning as I'm a worrier and can't find anything else online relevant
Thanks and sorry for the rant/panic thread

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
call your vet. this forum has members from all over the world and you're not going to find everyone online at the same time. from what you're describing, it sounds like mama kitty has mastitis, or an infection of the teats. my midnight had that when her babies were about 90% weaned. Here's a link that tells you what you can do to ease mama kitty's discomfort. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cats-1606/2009/9/Lactating-mother-kittens.htm

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just thought I'd update those who offered help/ read or for anyone who may have simular problem - spoke to vet this morning and discovered last night the remaining 2 kittens were trying to feed every half hour didnt need to see her as description and home examination given (studied animal care for 2 years so know a bit) described milk drying up early from over feeding but to keep an eye just incase, picked up some antibiotic cream to use if they do start to become painful. Kittens are now being hand reared and having been fed enough milk/baby rice and milk mixture they are able to go 3 hours between feeds :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts