Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am new to this board and I wish I were coming here out of fun instead of coming looking for help. I hope that once things settle down I can come and make new pals. My name is Sharon and I look forward to becoming an active member.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have found a pregnant young cat that is about to be finished with her pregnancy and she is homeless. I have tried to help her by feeding her and fresh water and also by giving her a place to stay to feel safe and comfy. I have noticed over the last couple of months that her bum is puffy and red and I believe she has an infected anal gland/glands.

She WILL NOT let me anywhere near her bottom. She can't reach it to properly clean it because her belly is quite big with babies. She needs help but I really can't afford to take her to the vet to get her help. It now has a sour icky smell and I really don't know what to do. She won't let me clean her up or apply any warm compresses.

Does anyone have any information for me that can help. Maybe there is some home remedies that I can use to help comfort her. If worse comes to worse I may have to call the animal shelter and have them help her. She is still eating and drinking yet she has a lot runny stools.:(

Thanks in advance for any answers that I get.

Sharon

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Personally I would call around to the local vets and locate one that works with strays/ferals, ask them about any organizations that will help with funds, and get her into a foster home asap. That way the kittens have a chance at getting good homes instead of becoming the next gen. of street cats and she gets the help she needs.

Sending a pregnant cat to a the local shelter can spell PTS with kitten season just getting started.

there is also this thread: http://www.catforum.com/forum/56-feral-cats/132319-help-veterinary-bills.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also try calling rescues in your area, maybe someone will have space for a poor sick soon to be momma cat. She may have giardia or coccidia or something that is irritaing her bowels. It could be deadly to the babies if they catch it so young. The sour smell also could mean infection which could also kill her and her unborn babies if its not treated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. If her infection smells and is swollen and red with discharge she could die without antibiotics and cleanup/bandaging. If you can, as has already been suggested, you need to call around and find a rescue/shelter that will be willing to come and set a large, humane trap and pay for care.

Large traps are available for $85 at home depot and they work without hurting the animal. You would just put her food in it and when she went in to feed, the door would shut. Cover it with a blanket to calm her down and she is ready for the car. If shelling out $85 is feasible for the trap then you could also call around to see if any vets would do a good deed and see her for free. If you are near a large university they may have a vet school that could help.

Maybe you could see if a vet. clinic or shelter/rescue could lend you a trap?

I just think that one way or the other she will have to get some antibiotics and get that infection cleaned up. It's even worse that she can't clean it up herself. Truly sad. She is suffering and needs a doc.

Ideally, she would go to a shelter or vet. and get treated. She would have her litter in the shelter and then get spayed so she would not have to go through the same thing again.

I'm sorry you are in such a bad situation and I wish I could do more to help. Good luck, keep us posted if you can.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The vet may also let you make payments. I have done this before. I have a feeling a shelter will just look at her, say 'oh, a sick cat", and put her down. Definetly do all you can, and do it quickly. If it's beginning to stink that's a bad sign.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this might be heartless of me but i would take her to the nearest shelter. even if they were to put her to sleep it is better for her to go softly instead of suffering to death. taking her to a human society is a better option then not doing anything, so if you cant find a rescue i would take there. keep us updated on how everything goes. ^_^

·
Registered
415 Posts
Do you know anyone who might have a live trap you could borrow? I would call around and see if any vet would be willing to see her for free. Maybe even the vet at a shelter? I would hate to see her suffer. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
call local rescues, and vets in the area.. i'm sure that eventually you stumble upon someone who will help you. please make the shelter your last option, unless it's a nokill shelter. *this Is just my opinion though*

Good luck, please update us when you can!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could try the SPCA or any humane societies in your area, try to find a local rescue shelter that may help you out, or try a vet school if you have one in your area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts