Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend Fred and I have been staying at my parents due to the Hurricane. This morning as I was leaving to return with Fred to my apartment I hear a loud thump and a scream. Fred had jumped through the railing on the second floor landing onto our wooden foyer floor! He ran off into the kitchen right after and when I found him he seemed to be moving ok- was playing with toys ect.

This evening he still seems fine. Maybe a little sore when he jumps down from the bed, but he has no sore spots, is walking with normal gait, and lets me touch all of his paws/legs.

I am so thankful he seems fine. That fall was at least 15-20 feet. I think he was playing with my parents' cats and forgot where he was. We have had many cats over the years at that house and none of them had done that before. I have stairs myself, but no big overlook/landing type area. The stairs are enclosed.

Definitely thanking my lucky stars today. Fred is napping in my lap right now purring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad Fred is ok! Seeing my baby jump from so high up would make my heart stop! My mom's house is like that, and whenever I see Peanut or Pumpkin peer through the landing rails, I run up and grab them. I remember hearing that cats can jump up to 3 times their height with no difficulty.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That is quite scary. I'm sure my heart would skip a beat.

Though, I've read about cats that jump off balconies on the 3rd floor and they're perfectly fine. Amazing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im glade Fred is okay! I have read that cats have a better chance of not injuring them selves from a higher fall (to a cretin extent of course) then a lower one.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yikes. I've seen Yoshi jump off the top of our fridge to the tile floor and I cringe. I've been trying to train him the proper way to get off the fridge....which is the same way he got there to begin with. Not the brightest bulb I guess!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
So glad Fred is alright!

I believe a cat needs at least 3 feet to right itself if it falls accidentally. My Miu loves to look down at the foyer from the 2nd floor through the railings so I know how you must feel. If she really jumped down, I'd be having apoplexy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 2 and he still seems fine. Poor little guy has been through so much this past week; vet appointment for distemper booster, Earthquake, Hurricane and temporary relocation, and then this morning our Carbon Monoxide alarm went off and I had to find him an emergency cat sitter while we were evacuated until emergency services did a CM reading - which came back normal. Apparently was just a faulty alarm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow. You have been through a lot. Glad to hear everyone was safe from all the traumas.

We have the same thing at my house! Both cats (that are declawed BTW) walk the railing. Every time I see it, my heart stops. I haven't been able to deter them from it no matter what! Luckily no one has fallen...yet. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts