Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 1/2 year old male cat, neutered. When he was younger, he'd do anything to get out of the house, including shredding window screens. Finally I gave up and just let him be an outdoor cat. He'd be out most of the day while we were at work and then when we came home he'd settle down in someone's lap or near them and pretty much sleep and cuddle the night away. Well, we moved about 4 weeks ago (within the same county so no major weather changes or anything like that) and for the first few days he just hid out under beds. He'd come slinking out now and then, tail between the legs, head down, sniffing at everything, but a little noise would spook him and he'd run away.
He's a little more comfortable in the house now, but he refuses to go out, which is good; I'd rather have an indoor cat. The problem is he sleeps all day and is up all night, walking across the furniture and knocking things down or jumping in and out of windows and messing up the blinds. He whines and cries a lot though he doesn't need food or water or a litter box cleaning and doesn't want to settle in to be petted. He'll be in the windows or at the door whining and crying but if I open the door to let him out he just runs away. Will his behavior ever return to normal, and how long will it take? He's waking us up at night and is not nearly as cuddly as he used to be. His eating, drinking and toileting is normal, so that's good. He's just not himself. And he still spooks easily. Anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, he's already neutered. He got the operation before he was 1 year old.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
He might just be scared moving into the new place. You should try confining him to one room with his litter and food. Once he is comfortable in that room, you can expand his territory to larger parts of the house.

As for waking you up at night, it looks like you need play-therapy! Here is an article on it. Basically, you play with him before bed and feed him a high protein wet food snack afterwards. It may take some time, but he should readjust to your schedule.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=012

Also, if you see him sleeping a lot during the day, you can try waking him up to play. That way he will need to sleep at night instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts