Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Ivory has some stubborn cat acne. I've tried basic antibacterial hand wash which only cleaned it and then also tried a foaming face wash (aveeno) which has worked a bit better but dries her skin. Can anyone make a good perfume free recommendation? I'm thinking spectrogel but don't want to just buy a million things. Off the top of my head I forgot how to spell the leading ingredient it needs.

She has had it VERY mild most of her life but since we got the dog in Sept it's been worse. Likely from him drinking out of her bowl or the food we switched her too. It's TOTW. Love it for the dog but when this bag is almost out we may try something different in case. Aside from the chin acne her coat has gotten better eating this.

Also, her bowls are ceramic and cleaned regularly. She is just a lemon of a cat haha. You'll be seeing a few threads pop up over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
A big part, at least in my opinion, for a cat to get over a sickness, is to support them nutritionally. Taste of the Wild is a good food but I'm guessing you are feeding only dry, which is not good. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health is a good site to read about why to feed wet food, and I think, it could help.

Another thing that I have heard helps is giving probiotics (see Probiotics: A Dietary Powerhouse for Your Cat | Little Big Cat).

The products you are using sounds like they are meant for people, not cats, which could be harmful for the cat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She does get the occasional wet food but does not do well on it. She often vomits it as well, and I do not give her large amounts. We've added TOTW wet food and that seems to work better. She vets it ever other day about. In her first five years she never got it, it made her sick. Tuna was her wet food. Her vet, and the vets at the shelter where I work agree the food is fine. We have a large breed dog with a weak immune system and allergies and so can only keep certain foods in the house. We plan on indroducing fish oils and vitamin e to her diet as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Also want to be more educated on this before we introduce it.

Made for man products can certainly work well on cats too. In general I avoid major pet stores and the 'pet aisle' at Walmart ect as I find their products ineffective and harmful.
Obviously the lavender scented soap we use won't be good either. However there are
products that are safe for animals and that's what I'm looking for advice on. We use Aveeno body wash with Oatmeal to bathe our dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts