Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, with so many dental products to choose from I'm overwhelmed with what to go with. My kitty (almost 13 years old) has a case of bad breath (her teeth look good and she has perfectly pink gums) and I need recommendations for wet and dry dental food. Thank you :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
26,379 Posts
She should visit a vet, there could be things going on that you can't see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd rather avoid that if possible. Don't get me wrong, I will do it as a last resort. But atm I've recently purchased some toothpaste for my cat and want to add in some dry/wet dental food. During my purchase of said toothpaste I've seen some say it worked and some say it didn't. I plan to do a few weeks of focusing on cleaning her teeth and seeing if it improves. If not... I suppose its a vet visit.

On a side note when my cat went in for something else a couple of months ago the vet did have a look at her teeth and didn't say anything. Not that I'm going to chalk it off as it being nothing wrong with her teeth just from that. I'd much rather try a few weeks of cleaning them myself before going to the vets. I'm hoping it will do the trick!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
We feed our two a few pieces of Hill's TD food every day and it keeps their teeth fairly clean and tartar free, but it hasn't stopped us from having to spend money on other dental problems. You need to get the vet to have a look at her if her breath is bad. She may need an extraction.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Bad breath isn't just a sign of dental issues, it can also be a symptom of serious medical issues. Since the vet didn't say anything about dental disease when her teeth were recently checked, it's unlikely that this is just normal tartar build up. Something may have developed in the meantime, like an abscess, kidney disease, diabetes, digestive issues etc. At her age, she susceptible to any of these senior ailments.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
You received some good advice already....a few things you can try are giving your cat raw chicken wingettes---the tips of the wings. They're mostly gristle; my cats love them and they act like a toothbrush as they chew on them. There is a supplement I've had success with for bad breath, and that is "Nature's Dentist" supplement. I sprinkle it on their plate and mash in their canned cat food on top of it.
Here's a link: https://naturalpetfoods.ca/products/natures-dentist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes I have and I'm grateful for the replies :D. I plan to ask the vet about it when I visit in January some time along with her cough. However this product you've linked seems exclusive to Canada. I can't find it on UK sites.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts