Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stocking up on equipment for working with feral cats; I would need a recovery cage, would a 24x46x22" rabbit cage be OK? I've seen advertised cages as 'feral recovery cages' but they're a bit expensive for me and I've heard rabbit cages are also used, these are cheaper, would one like the one described do? Will it be allright for young cats and as a recovery/taming shelter for kittens? Speaking of yc's, also Taz like adults,
would a rabbit cage be sturdy enough?
Thank-you!! I realize this isn't everybody's field of expertise, thank-you for any info you provide.

·
Registered
428 Posts
cage

I do feral spay/neuter also. My only suggestions would be to make sure the cage you want to use has a solid floor, no wire that can injure the feet. Also, make sure the door is big enough so you can get your hand in and out fast and easily.

I have a cage, I'm not sure if it's called a recovery cage, but it is wire and has a removable tin floor. The door is a sliding type (up/down) so it makes it very easy to reach in to put food, water and litter pan.

Do you intend on just holding the cat overnight after being spayed/neutered? I buy my traps at ACES Animal Care Equipment and Services. Inc.. Their e-mail address is [email protected] The best recovery cage in their catalog sells for $127.00 (number FC-RC) and I think I'll get that one. The one I have is a lot smaller. Believe me, I've handled over 200 ferals. The equipment you use will make things a lot easier for you and the cat. If you can, invest in this cage. It will last forever and you'll save yourself and the cat a lot of stress and possible injury.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have done 20+ ferals and I use the dog crates which are probably 2' wide x 3' long.

The rabbit cage sounds like it should be okay for both feral cats & kittens. My rule of thumb is as long as it fits a litter-box, food & water dishes, room for the cat to sleep, and some kind of way to clean it everyday...it's fine to use :D

Remember, feral females should be kept a minimum of 48 hours, and males 24 hours. Also, always feed canned to the feral...this will reduce the stress on them a tad. A can of Friskies should do just fine :wink:

Take care and I wish there were more people like you :D
Abhay

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I usually leave the kitties inside the cages where they were trapped. There is no way I can touch them. The only one I could take out was Tippy - I replaced her in a bigger crate. I also took advantage of her being inside and kept her :D. I might find a new home for her - I am not sure yet.

All the kitties did fine recovering in the cages. I had them on newspapers that I changed constantly in the garage. Keeping them partially covered will also reduce the stress a great deal.
I had fans on to keep them cool during the day.

We loan the cages - we are returned the $250 check we write each time. I would have loved to keep them in bigger cages so they would be more at ease but unfortunately that it is only this much we can go up to in our budget. WE donate $80 each time we go. Catnip said it costs them 20 per cat. We tried to go as close as possible to the amount for each cat. We buy extra food during the process not only for them but also for the kittens that cannot be nursed whose mothers are recovering.

I gave them all a small container with water (when it was allowed to after the surgery) and canned food. A little bit several times. They tried to attack me while I was doing so so please be ver careful, Rosalie
I was very stressed the first time I did this - I wanted all of them to recover well; the second was a little better on my nerves. The third will be on September the 12th - 5 more kitties. There will still be an amount of stress, I am sure ...but I am more experienced now an feel a little more at ease.
I hope your kitties will do well, Rosalie - also Patsy's and Abhay's

·
Registered
625 Posts
I LOVE our feral program here :)

The cool thing is that you don't have to have an "appointment" to bring the cat to the vet. There are 5 vet clinics that signed up, and when you trap a cat...you just bring it into one. Even if the vet clinic is full of surgeries that day, they have to do the feral regardless.

Our program only does the spay/neuter & vaccines. No testing, but I'm okay with that.

My vet we take the ferals to is SO great. They keep the feral for a few hours after surgery and feed them. They also let us bring & pick them up in cat carriers even though the program tells us not to.

I really wish I could do more ferals, but I have a pregnant female, and a litter of kittens 8O My trapper also just told me that they can't trap anymore, so now I have to find a new trapper for a certain colony.

But I also know a person who runs a no-kill shelter. Any tame cat I get go to PetCo adoption events. So I am happy about that :D

Take Care,
Abhay

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow that sounds great, Abhay - I am happy for you and the people in your area...as many of them take advantage of it..after all this should be a community effort (like many other things) but very few people see it that way.
Truthfully speaking I am really happy there is a program close to me and I can take cats in - although by appointment with a limited number of cats. It took me more than half a year to get into the program. Trapping kittens, taking them to the vet and fostering them until they are tame and old enough to be adopted out is extremely costly. Although we charged $20 per kitten the financial gap took a long time to refill (the only job I can have at the moment is babysitting. it is close to teaching which I have done in the past so it isn't a big turn from my vocation... Andrew is the one who has more than a decent job - I am more than grateful for his efforts and his being supportive of my choice of helping these kitties)

I am happy to see there are a few people on this forum that deal with the same problem as me - it makes it easier to see a lot of people care for feral cats, trying to make a difference; it makes it easier because I feel numerous steps are being taken and I see progress and that is a great achievement. Of course, I always keep in mind the other members of the forum that are all compassionate about animals. All in all, it is nice to be here - the realm of electronic communications netweork aka internet :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes! It's so wonderful to see how many people care about the feral cat problem. Such a boost to those that live in areas where the community isn't aware/provides help/understands our task..
I asked in the Suggestions forum if it's neccessary to have a separate Feral Cat forum since there are a few of us here but maybe we aren't that many yet, posting in Health & Nutrition or other might do. We'll see..
I just got a rabbit cage in ebay..(when I inquired here, I had already bid on it & won it) It'll be OK for medium size adults and kittens but I'll need a larger one later on, so I'm planning on investing in a better one, thank-you lotocats, I'll check ACE.
Question; will the cat use a litterbox in the cage if he's used to the great outdoors? Or maybe yes, maybe not. Anyways, there's a sliding tray to clean out.
Thank-you all, I'm following by your feedback and couldn't have gone very far without it :D :D :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ferals & litter boxes

Rosalie:

Yes, most ferals will use the litter box. Most will make a huge mess of it because they try to dig their way to China, then back again. Recommendation on feeding/water cups. Buy thick plastic cups they sell for large bird cages. They sell them at Petsmart. They are round and come in different sizes. The end slips over the wire and then there is a cap you screw on to keep it in place. Anything else will get knocked over, even the ones that hook on to the side of carriers/bird cages. I'm sure you are aware that you need to bring the rabbit cage to the place where the cat is being fixed so they can put it in that cage to recover. Don't try to handle feral cats yourself. Be very careful with very wild ferals. i was attacked once by a female when I reached in the cage to change her litter pan. Luckily she didn't bite, she just latched on to my arm and scratched the heck out of me. Not to mention scared me to death. That is why I was making a point about the right equipment. Some of these cats are very wild and very mean and God forbid one ever bites you. I rescue them all the time, but am the first to say I'm scared of them. I take every precaution. As they say, a harsh lesson is the best teacher. Good luck and God bless you for your efforts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts