Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old cat has started some strange behavior with her throat that occurs sporadically with a month or two break between. She is fixed, has had all her shots and is an indoor cat, but I do occasionally take her into the yard on a harness & leash.

She gets a sore throat and when she tries to make a small meow, it comes out as a loud yell. I can tell it hurts her to meow, but she's a talker, so she keeps trying to do it. I hold her as much as I can to give her throat a rest, since she won't meow much if I'm holding her. Giving fish oil drops seems to soothe her temporarily. I can't see anything in her mouth or throat. When I feel her throat from outside, it feels a little swollen. She doesn't have any trouble breathing, eating, drinking or licking herself.

The first time this happened was after she got into the garbage and chewed up some foil. I think she scratched her throat and made it sore. After 1 day, she was back to normal. I got a new trashcan with a secure lid, so she can't get into it anymore. However, she has recurrences of the sore throat and I'm not sure what to do about it.
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
981 Posts
What did the vet say about this?
If you have not had her to the vet, then that is what you really need to do. Right away. This could be something serious that needs treatment and you may regret it if you put that off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts