Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these the original orange boys? They look like American orangeys,just a little bigger,a wee bit fierce,and they have spots instead of stripes. Like little spotted sabretooth tigers!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Red spotted dilmuns? a new one to me.....even wiki hasn't heard about these. Can you provide a pic?

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
Here's a picture - male red spotted Dilmun

BAHRAINI DILMUN (DELMUN) CAT
The Bahraini Dilmun (or Delmun) Cat is an ancient spotted variety barely known in its own country. It is in danger of being lost due to inter-breeding with abandoned Persian and Siamese cats in Bahrain where purebred cats are popular pets and status symbols but are frequently turned out onto the streets once the novelty wears off. The brown spotted tabby is probably the most common pattern, but they are also found in red spotted. The effect of interbreeding can be seen in the occurrence of colourpoints among feral cats.

Dilmun cats are slender and semi-foreign in conformation. They have evolved to survive in Bahrain's extremely high summer temperatures. Only recently has there been any interest in maintaining this as a breed and Adele O’Shea is involved in the preservation of this variety. It is being bred by the Cat Club of Bahrain and Dilmun Cats have reached America.

The Dilmun cat occurs occurs in six patterns The spotted tabby is found in black-on-brown and red-spotted varieties. White Dilmun cats are born with a small blue patch behind one ear that disappears in adulthood – i.e. genetically caused by white spotting gene. When mated to a spotted tabby they produce spotted tabbies and tabby-and-whites. Tabby-and-White and black-and-white Dilmuns tend to have a high degree of white markings. Solid black is also found due to the recessive non-agouti gene. Tabby-tortie (without white) are relatively uncommon.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Hi Bluemilk, indeed that's quite typical here, and many of my strays are spotted instead of striped. But because they're mixed, of course, they're not bigger and their behavior is not any different from the others. I didn't know it was a local Middle East variety, I thought it was a very common occurrence.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I learned something new today....a different breed of cat! I'm wondering whether they would be really that distinctive as a breed from the Ocicat?

Breed Profile: The Ocicat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts