Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I adopted Tom, the adoption counselor informed me that Tom was dewormed for roundworms, and that there didn't seem to be a recurrence. I haven't noticed anything on his poop or any little worm critters near his anus. Is it possible or most likely that the first deworming may have done the trick? Just wondered how common it is to do one deworming and not have to repeat it.

Thanks,
Lisa and TomCat :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'm not sure... however, my vet said after their second de-worming it's aboout 95% that they won't need to go a third time.

To be sure, bring a fresh stool sample so they can check it. You might be lucky and not need a second round.

g'luck

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
The second treatment is to kill the worms that were laid by the original worms, and have since hatched. The second treatment is definitely necessary. By all means, have it done.

You are more likely to see tapeworm rather than roundworms around the anus .

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
It has always been my understanding that the eggs are not killed by the first treatment, that they must hatch first. That's why there is always a period of time between the first and second dose. If a kitten or puppy has been born to an animal that was outside, it's just about a given. It will have worms. From what I've been told, there's no question about it, whether you see them or not. And if they have worms, they need two treatments, spaced according to directions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts