Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were making great progress, about a month ago, her appetite changed completely when I introduced Salmon Oil.

Now that I've taken it away, she just won't eat raw meat. She may nibble at it here or there, but definately not enough for an entire meal. I've been mixing it with her wet food and she's only licking up the wet.

Has anyone experienced regression? How do you get them back on track? *sigh* It's so frustrating because I've been transitioning both cats since about September/October 09. My younger cat is almost fully on raw (just some wet to taste). But my 7 year old has regressed to barely touching any raw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I'm a little unclear.. did she eat the raw meat with the salmon oil on it fine, and now that it's not there, she won't eat it? or she wouldn't eat the raw meat with the oil, and now she won't even eat it without it?

have you tried changing meats? jango got really bad runs one night and wouldn't touch chicken for almost a month, but he would eat other meats okay... after a few days. he wouldn't touch any raw for like 3 days.. I relented and just didn't attempt to give him any.. I figured we'd call it a reboot.

also, do you feed wet if they don't eat their meat in a resonable time? I did that for awhile and jango never ate a full meal of meat.. so I decided to stop replacing it with something else, and just give the meat back to him when he was begging for food... fed a meal around 7pm and then just gave back the uneaten portions for the rest of the night.. he still didn't eat it the first few times I did that, but then I think he realized he actually wasn't going to get canned food no matter how much he resisted, and started just eating his entire meat-plate when it came out.

I'm also not too sure about mixing the meat with the canned.. it might be a good way to transition if it works, but I mean, canned naturally has more flavour, right? so maybe it actually makes the meat less tempting? mixing the wet and the raw didn't work for me at all.. they could easily pick out the raw bits to not eat. could you try another way of trying to get her to eat it? a liberal sprinkle with kraft parmesan cheese (they didn't like the real, shredded kind... what non-connoisseurs.) worked really well to get past the reluctant phase with both my cats. I also used chicken in a bath of tuna water which they liked.

7 months seems like a REALLY long transition, so maybe it is time to try a few different things, see if you can speed it up.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry for the confusion.
I'll go into more detail but it might be long. ^^

Pico's Progress
- female
- 8 years old

She was transitioning very well eating all sorts of meats. We managed to have her eating mouse-size chunks. So I decided it was time to introduce bone in meat. When I gave her a chicken thigh (with bone in and skin), she refused to eat. That day I saw at my local pet store, a bottle of Salmon Oil and made the purchase planning to put it in their food as supplement.

Around that same time, Pico got an eye ulcer. I had to take her to the vet and put ointment in her eye daily. During this time, I tried to give her some chicken thigh with salmon oil and for the next few days she refused to eat, merely licking the wet food bribe I was using.

As a week or so went by with her decreasing appetite I didn't want her to go hungry so I reverted to wet food. She ate, maybe a tablespoonful a day. I eventually went back to giving her dry, that's when she upped her intake to about 1/2 cup (which shelters tell me is normal for a cat of her size even though I was worried).

Now I find it very difficult to get her back on track with her raw diet. I managed to get her eating raw again, but I have to cut things into slivers. She avoids chewing and tearing like she did before. I tried ONCE again with the salmon oil in her food to test if it was what she disliked and it was. She did not eat the day we put salmon oil in her food.

I figure all those changes happening at once, the oil, the bone, the ulcer, may have been too fast a pace in the transition for her.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced regression when transitioning their cat. How long it took them and if there is a better way to coax them to eat.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
First, IMO chicken bones are mostly too large for cats. CAN they eat them? Yes. But most cats will have trouble with them, esp. at first. A better choice is cornish game hen (which is very small, 1-pound chicken) or better yet, quail. I get quail at an Asian/Mexican grocery $6.00 for 6, and the cats get 1/2 each when they get quail. The bones are more appropriately sized for cats.

Second, I think you're babying her a bit. Yes, she needs to eat every day due to the risk of hepatic lipidosis. But try this:

AM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, take it away, put it in a baggie in the fridge and that's IT. Nothing else until supper.

PM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, give her some canned food (or, if ABSOLUTELY necessary, a little dry, but canned would be better).

AM: Repeat same as AM yesterday.

This way she is eating something every 24 hours, but she's hungry enough at her meals to give the new food a try. Get her eating boneless again before trying bone-in, but when you do, do it the same way (but substitute boneless raw for the canned food in the evening if she doesn't eat the bone-in). Of course, you don't want her eating bone-in at every meal, but you get the idea. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Sorry for interrupting but how much quail can you feed within a week? Each cat gets one whole quail for the entire week? That means I could quarter the quail and feed four meals? Right now I'm doing CGH but I think I found quail. With the CGH, as I already mentioned before, I give a cat half of it for the week and split it into four meals.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
catlady2010 said:
Sorry for interrupting but how much quail can you feed within a week? Each cat gets one whole quail for the entire week? That means I could quarter the quail and feed four meals? Right now I'm doing CGH but I think I found quail. With the CGH, as I already mentioned before, I give a cat half of it for the week and split it into four meals.
Huh? No. Each cat gets 1/2 quail whenever I feed quail. Quail is pretty small (smaller than CGH). I feed it probably 4 meals a week--the other meal that day is boneless something or other.

And if you're splitting 1 CGH in half and then dividing that HALF in quarters, that is not enough food for a cat. When I feed CGH each cat gets 1/4 of a hen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hoofmaiden said:
First, IMO chicken bones are mostly too large for cats. CAN they eat them? Yes. But most cats will have trouble with them, esp. at first. A better choice is cornish game hen (which is very small, 1-pound chicken) or better yet, quail. I get quail at an Asian/Mexican grocery $6.00 for 6, and the cats get 1/2 each when they get quail. The bones are more appropriately sized for cats.

Second, I think you're babying her a bit. Yes, she needs to eat every day due to the risk of hepatic lipidosis. But try this:

AM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, take it away, put it in a baggie in the fridge and that's IT. Nothing else until supper.

PM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, give her some canned food (or, if ABSOLUTELY necessary, a little dry, but canned would be better).

AM: Repeat same as AM yesterday.

This way she is eating something every 24 hours, but she's hungry enough at her meals to give the new food a try. Get her eating boneless again before trying bone-in, but when you do, do it the same way (but substitute boneless raw for the canned food in the evening if she doesn't eat the bone-in). Of course, you don't want her eating bone-in at every meal, but you get the idea. :)
Yes, Pico already gets only two meals a day. Once in the morning and once at night. The thing is I have ANOTHER cat, Harley who went from eating almost NO RAW straight to chicken thighs and wings no problem. He's fully on raw now. This was because Pico didn't want her chicken, so he took a pass at it and dove right in.

Lately I've been getting Cornish Hen for them, I go to the Chinese Supermarket often. Harley has been eating it bone-in no problems, but as of right now, I'm just feeding Pico boneless meat.

I was on another forum and left, because I was trying to solve the regression problem and I agree when you say I baby her, however I was pretty much attacked and told I was neglecting her and putting her at risk for hepatic lipidosis if I were to try skipping one of her meals to try and get her to eat. But now that I see someone has suggested what I was thinking as well, I think I'll go forward and try that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
Yeah, just make sure she is eating a decent meal at least once in 24 hours and keep an eye on her. Don't let it go on TOO long. Most cats won't starve themselves, though, so once it's clear you're not gonna give in, they WILL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
hoofmaiden said:
Huh? No. Each cat gets 1/2 quail whenever I feed quail. Quail is pretty small (smaller than CGH). I feed it probably 4 meals a week--the other meal that day is boneless something or other.

And if you're splitting 1 CGH in half and then dividing that HALF in quarters, that is not enough food for a cat. When I feed CGH each cat gets 1/4 of a hen.
[/quote]

I meant I quarter the entire CGH and then give two quarters to each cat per week (so basically each cat gets half a CGH within 7 days). Oh ok, so altogether a cat would consume two quails within a week since you feed 1/2 quail 4 times a week?

Overall, I just want to make sure it's enough to feed a cat half a CGH for the whole week. And of course I would divide it into four or five meals so that it would be portioned. And if I want to feed quail, then two whole quails should be enough for the entire week and those would be divided as well.

Orrr does one cat get an entire CGH and THAT should be divided in quarters? I thought one whole CGH for one cat was too much.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
catlady2010 said:
Overall, I just want to make sure it's enough to feed a cat half a CGH for the whole week. And of course I would divide it into four or five meals so that it would be portioned. And if I want to feed quail, then two whole quails should be enough for the entire week and those would be divided as well.

Orrr does one cat get an entire CGH and THAT should be divided in quarters? I thought one whole CGH for one cat was too much.
I'm not sure what you're asking. Of course a whole CGH is too much in one meal. ???

When one says "quarters," one means whatever it is divided into quarters. My dogs get chicken quarters (1/4 of a whole chicken at a time). My cats get CGH quarters (1/4 of a whole CGH at a time). Quail are smaller so I halve them instead of quartering. How many times a week you feed that is up to you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
So your cat gets a whole CGH in a week? I mean of course not in one meal but like 1/4 CGH 4X a week? This probably is a dumb question but I'm still confused lol. I just want to make sure that an entire CGH is not TOO much. Of course a whole CGH won't be fed within one sitting.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
You are WAAAAY overthinking this. I don't worry about how much they're getting in a week, LOL. I feed quail ON AVERAGE 4-5 meals a week. I feed mice ON AVERAGE 4-5 meals a week. Otherwise I feed boneless meat. They get some organ in the mice so they only get other organ (liver/kidney) 3X a week or so.

If you're NOT feeding mice, then you might want to feed a little more bone-in stuff. If CGH is the only bone you're feeding, perhaps feed it a bit more often. But this isn't an exact science.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
catlady, my cats get 2.5ish quails each per week...that's 5 meals per week? it might be a little lighter than 10% bone, but poops all seem okay, so I'm stickin with it. I'm going to try throwing a mouse or two in per week, and I probably won't adjust the bone unless they get more than 2... because I think that would still be around 10%. I mean, the real danger is a calcium deficiency I suppose, which they're not going to get from 7 or 8% calcium when the ideal is 10, so I don't worry about it, and every now and then throw in an extra quail per week or something. I think 3 quails per week would also put you at 10% ish.. my math isn't very exact as I didn't know the exact % of bone in a quail.

on the fatty liver discussion, I'm fairly certain that skipping a meal doesn't put anyone at a risk of anything.. I mean if you refused to give her water unless she eats that might be something horrible, but you're not going to give her a disease by skipping a meal or two.. I'm sure feral cats occasionally can't catch something and go without eating for a day here or there. their little bodies can't be THAT sensitive.. so attacking you about that seems just silly, igloe. I think some people give their cats like a tbsp of food so they eat something, and other than that they just stay hungry until the next day?

Hepatic lipidosis classically occurs after a period of anorexia (loss of appetite) of at least 2 weeks duration. (from http://maxshouse.com/Feline_Hepatic_Lipidosis.htm, a well sourced article at least.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Alright thanks guys. Just went and bought quail. Will be giving each cat about 2 quails per week. So each meal will be half a quail.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hoofmaiden said:
Yeah, just make sure she is eating a decent meal at least once in 24 hours and keep an eye on her. Don't let it go on TOO long. Most cats won't starve themselves, though, so once it's clear you're not gonna give in, they WILL.
Should I try giving her the raw meat without the wet food bribe? I'm not sure if she'll eat it. =(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried offering her plain raw cornish hen wing today, no bribe. I skipped one feeding hoping she would be hungry enough to eat it. She smelled it and left it.

=/

This is really trying my patience, it's been 6 months!?

AM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, take it away, put it in a baggie in the fridge and that's IT. Nothing else until supper.

PM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, give her some canned food (or, if ABSOLUTELY necessary, a little dry, but canned would be better).
I will try this for a while, but if that doesn't work should I just keep feeding raw piece + wet food for another few weeks?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG!!

I offered her some quail today with 1/4 tspn of wet food to scent + a different brand of Atlantic salmon oil. I used my butcher knife to break the bones and SHE ATE IT!!!!!!! ogmomgomgomgomgmg

She didn't finish it, but she tends to ration her food so I will give it to her again tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Nice breakthrough!

Please update!!!!! Your case is very interesting.

I'm thinking your kitty might simply have had a tummyache or something during one of the raw feedings and so associated raw food with bad things. Once she begins trying raw food again and seeing nothing bad happens she could well be on track.



igloe said:
OMG!!

I offered her some quail today with 1/4 tspn of wet food to scent + a different brand of Atlantic salmon oil. I used my butcher knife to break the bones and SHE ATE IT!!!!!!! ogmomgomgomgomgmg

She didn't finish it, but she tends to ration her food so I will give it to her again tonight.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top