Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the storms last month, we trapped a handsome little 7-9 month feral kitten, (Tyson), and I ended up keeping him. He's making great progress with us- and is, hands down, *the* absolute sweetest kitty I've ever had the privilege of meeting- but he's so deathly afraid of *everything*.

(We have no idea what exactly happened to him, but whatever it was, he's lucky to have survived it. What's left of his tail- less than half of it- is mangled, badly broken in at least six places, (this has all long since healed, so it must've happened when he was a very young kitten) there appears to be some minor nerve damage, he's missing most of his top whiskers on one side, and his body is covered in tiny scars. I don't know if he was abused, caught by a wild animal, or had a run-in with somebody's car, but whatever happened has definitely made an impression on him.)

He enjoys being held now, but will only allow two people (myself included) to do it. When I hold him, he wraps his arms around my neck with the death grip, refuses to let go, purrs, and buries his face in my shoulder. He's so submissive, he even blinks and tucks his tail at inanimate objects. He hyperventilates and twitches when he's nervous, and it's sad. I've been working with him as you'd work with a feral or timid cat, but he's kind of different, and I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience working with a cat like this and might have some advice.

I realize he'll probably never be the pushy, inquisitive, let-me-help-you-with-that, into-everything, cat-show-loving ham that his "brother" is, and that whatever progress we can make is probably going to take time, but I want to at least help him mature into a happier, more confident cat.

Okay.. end of novel. ;)

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
How sweet of you to help this cat! I haven't had experience exactly with a feral cat but one of my cats Twinkie is a super chicken. I know it's not exactly a like situation but with lots of patience and time and treats, my cat Twinkie now isn't so scared anymore and loves to investigate just like my other cat Sugar. Just give it time and I'm sure they'll come around, b/c if it was me and I had a horrible experience with something in the past when i was little, I'm sure I'd be acting kinda scared and shy all the time too. Btw, are you planning on keeping this kitten? :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, but of course! Now that he's been accepted by Mr. Nicholas (the first kitty), I have every intention of keeping the little guy. :)

And thanks for the confidence.. I'm really hoping that things will start looking up for him soon. *fingers crossed*

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Bless his little heart! He does look frightened. He'll soon feel comfortable with you, though. As for the box? What's so tacky about it? I think it's really nice! (If you tell people to ignore something, it's the first think they want to see! I'm guilty!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my, lol. *hangs head in shame* Let's just say that boredom + fillerbunny + paint = a very bad thing.. especially if you're one of the two (male!) kitties forced to use that pastel monstrosity, lol.

We made big progress today.. Tyson flopped on my stomach and suffered through an entire 90 minutes of my grandmother's god-awful news programs- purring and giving kisses the entire time. I must say, I do love this kitty. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Special kitty

Your little kitty sounds so special. Like you said he'll never be like other cats. I have a lot of experience with feral cats, owning some myself. They are capable of being very sweet and tender with their owner(s), but they will never be friendly with strangers. Ferals tend to bond with the person or person(s) who rescued them and that's it. Just accept your little baby as he is and don't expect any thing more from him then he's able to give. He sounds so precious.

I just recently rescued 3 feral kittens (3months) and they are the sweetest and most trusting ferals I've ever had. However, they never let me forget they are feral. If I just look at them the wrong way or make a move they aren't familiar with, they high tail it away from me. It's amazing though because they are so submissive, rolling over for belly rubs everytime I'm near them.

Also, keep in mind, each cat inherits his parents genes. It's difficult to compare one to another because they are so unique to themselves.

Good luck. Glad you rescued the little bugger.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
fillerbunny said:
Oh my, lol. *hangs head in shame* Let's just say that boredom + fillerbunny + paint = a very bad thing.. especially if you're one of the two (male!) kitties forced to use that pastel monstrosity, lol.

We made big progress today.. Tyson flopped on my stomach and suffered through an entire 90 minutes of my grandmother's god-awful news programs- purring and giving kisses the entire time. I must say, I do love this kitty. :)
It can only get better at this point! Im glad to hear the good news! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts