Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I joined here just because I need some outside opinions on a situation.

In September we added a siamese kitten to our home. We had two dogs already. The older dog had lived with cats his entire life until our three previous cats perished in a house fire. We had only had the younger dog for a week when the fire happened so she wasn't exposed to them much.

When new kitty came home, he and the younger dog bonded instantly. It took a lot of adjustment to get my older dog to accept the cat and he never really seemed fond of him but tolerated kitty.

Fast forward to last weekend. My daughter got up in the middle of the night and left the pantry door open. Kitty went in and knocked over a jar of peanut butter, which woke all of us up startled; both dogs took off into pantry and went after the cat.

Since then we've been having issues getting the dogs to settle again around the cat. Younger dog still cuddles with him and wants to play but if older dog gets snarky, she joins in. Older dog is hit or miss but it feels like the way things were when cat first came home. We've moved his litter box and bed into an area of the house the dogs can't get to, but being a siamese, he wants to be with us.

I am not sure if it's worth going through all the behavioral adjustments again or if we should just rehome kitty (dogs were here first). It would break our hearts to do it, especially after losing our other three cats less than a year ago, but at the same time I worry about his safety and I want everyone to be happy.

(I'm planning to ask hubby's grandmother if she'd like him, as she lost her cat last year and she lives right next door so we could still see him, but if she doesn't, I will feel worse)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I dunno, tough decision! I do know that I would really be devastated if something similar happened again, but this time came down to find a mutilated or dead cat. I know that I would feel absolutely devasted and feel guilty that I knew it might be a possibility and hoped it wouldn't. I think I would be inclined to ask your hubby's grandmother to give your Siamese a try and see if they bond and are compatible. Siamese are usualy very active cats, but cuddly and very companionable too. She may find his antics amusing or annoying depending of what he likes to do. eg I would find one annoying that climbed drapes or constantly jumped on the kitchen counter while trying to prepare a meal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. His grandmother is willing to give him a try. That at least gives us all time to decompress and find a backup solution if it doesn't work out with her. I told her I would continue to pay for his care and buy his supplies etc. I want him in my life but I want him to be safe. So we will see...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts