Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am a part time raw feeder but I have been slacking. Lots of different reasons but now I am thinking of doing it more often.

So I was looking at Hare Today's website.

Does anyone give their dogs/cats guinea pig? I actually used to breed them briefly for a pet store I worked at...as pets. Never thought of them as a food source and thought, why not?

Also, where do you get your best deals? Now I have four mouths to feed and two of them are big mouths. And me with no job. I don't mind the work/prep as long as I can afford it.

I think I need a refresher course. This year was a good deer haul so we have been doing a lot of raw feeding lately and I want to do this more often. I am a firm believer that nutrition is a solid foundation to good health...for everyone!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Definitely see if you have any Asian grocery stores nearby. I absolutely love going to the ones near me. They have a really amazing variety of interesting things, and usually really good prices!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I haven't fed GP's but I definately would! I know a lot of people who do. Their cats love them. Mind you, they do 100% raw and the cats have been on it since kitten-hood to build up jaw strength and those cats will eat ANYTHING. LOL

My best deals are Kijiji/CraigsList - I post asking for hunter scraps, and freezer burnt meat. I take anything given and toss a lot of it (seasoned meat, pork, etc). Some people claim this can be dangerous, and I do believe there are crazies out there, but I have been doing raw a while and never had a problem. Once got a WHOLE freezer full of meat good for PEOPLE they just didn't want anymore! Another time HALF A COW only 6mths old, and on and on.

Asian markets are always great for bargains and weird stuff.

Farmers markets I get whole, live rabbits at the auctions and slaughter them ourselves. Rabbit is a pricey meat, this allows us to enjoy it without paying out the nose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts