Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year old male cat has the same panting problem. he is over weight bad and i try so hard not to feed him but he cries n meows until i do, breaks my heart! He hasn't been active enough to notice the panting lately but I have noticed when i pick him up and turn him on his back like holdin a baby, I can hear his chest maybe a sound of congestion in there or something? I just posted another problem he has in Cat Chat .."scooting/bleeding.." If anyone has read that and this one, could these two problems be related?

Could his breathing problem be because he is so over weight? About 2 months ago he weighed 15 lbs and the groomer said its the biggest cat shes ever seen..

Thanks for anyone who may can give me advice!
Allyson

·
Registered
709 Posts

It could be related, do you feed him wet or dry food? timed meals? or feed whenever he meows for food? if you're feeding him dry i'd suggest an all wet diet and in timed meals, twice a day. Wet food actually helps better to lose weight. but i don't know what you're feeding him right now? wut brand of cat food?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feed him friskies in the pack, about one per 24 hours.. and i keep a bowl of hill's c/d out at all times. So really he eats when he wants to eat.. I don't feed him at the same time everyday, almost at the same time like morning and before bed but throughout the day he pretty much nibbles when he wants and when i give him friskies.

·
Registered
709 Posts

It seems like he really needs to lose weight, i would suggest that you give him timed meals instead of free feeding. Dry food makes cats gain a lot of weight, especially if they're indoor only house cats that don't really get a lot of exercise. My kitty is overweight too, although he's not 15pds, right now i'm feeding him timed meals with a pretty good dry food and slowly getting him to switch to wet food. i would suggest feeding your kitty a wet food only diet. I kno pretty much everyone here prefers wellness, inova, feldae premium foods. (personally i can't afford those for my kitty so i try to find him the best i can at a price i can afford). I'm sure dr. jean will stop by this thread and give you some more info on it(she knows a lot more then i would). good luck!
take care

1 - 4 of 4 Posts