Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been getting brave and adding more organs to the diet. Oh lord but why did I choose kidney? It's got to be the stinkiest organ.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It is gross, isn't it? YUCK. It and liver both make my hands itch like crazy after I'm done. :(

Sadly, if you feed raw, kidney is the easiest to find "other" organ. We can't find anything else to use (brains, testies, ovaries, etc).

·
Banned
952 Posts
It is gross, isn't it? YUCK. It and liver both make my hands itch like crazy after I'm done. :(

Sadly, if you feed raw, kidney is the easiest to find "other" organ. We can't find anything else to use (brains, testies, ovaries, etc).
I hate the smell of kidney, I hate removing the waxy interior, and I have to chop Ralph's kidney very fine and mix it 40/60 with some other meat so he can eat it without getting sick.

I would give a LOT to be able to find another organ to serve!

AC

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seriously eh? Asides from liver, it's the easiest to find. I did see gizzards but since I'm just starting out with the organs, didn't know how they'd like the texture. I also saw pancreas too. I wanted to avoid pig but it seemed at that particular place, they had more pig organs available than other. I was able to get chicken liver but got the pig kidneys since that was the only one available. Ew.

Cutting out the interior was okay, but the stink really turned me off. On the other hand, Jack seem to take immense interest in it as I was butchering.

Since I'm here, might as well ask. Some of you feed quail eggs. Do you feed those cooked or raw and do you feed one per meal?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Since I'm here, might as well ask. Some of you feed quail eggs. Do you feed those cooked or raw and do you feed one per meal?
I feed quail eggs twice a week, in the mornings (eggs are purrfect for breakfast! :D). I feed them raw (no shells, although you can if you want...my girls don't like them), and usually give something else with it, like a hunk of meat or gizzards.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Bleeh! I have only worked with liver, which is nasty and messy - I think I will spare myself kidney based on this! Partly frozen is a great suggestion, it makes for more accurate portioning, too...

I think I will definitely add quail eggs. Gracie loves quail itself, and I bet the eggs are the perfect size for a meal :)!

Fran

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh thanks for the tip. I thought only heart was considered meat.

Yeah, the kidney was partially frozen and I still couldn't stand the smell. Ugh. I'm going to try something else.

Okay, thanks for the quail egg info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts