Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Purina's Maxx Scoop Small Spaces cat litter since I adopted the girls. Both they and I love it...great odor control, clumping and virtually no dust. Regrettably, I now understand that Purina has discontinued this line (or is in the process of doing so). Is there anyone out there who previously used the Maxx Scoop product, but has now managed to find a satisfactory replacement? If so, what are you now using?

I know Purina also makes the Tidy Cat line, but according to numerous posts on FB, that line doesn't begin to compare to the Maxx Scoop...although I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used both products and disagrees with that conclusion.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
I've never used Maxx Scoop, but I've tried many different kinds, including right now. I'm going back to Tidy Cat.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never used Maxx Scoop, but I've tried many different kinds, including right now. I'm going back to Tidy Cat.
Tidy Cat seems to be the ones that the stores up here are stocking in place of Maxx Scoop. However, there are various varieties of Tidy Cat: 4-in-1, Lightweight, 24/7, etc., etc.

So, to Marie and others who have used Tidy Cat...I want a clumping litter, but do you have any recommendations/comments on the various varieties?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
I get the 24/7 when it's available, it has a slight citrus scent which I like. My grocery store has it on sale for $5 about once every two months and I stock up.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get the 24/7 when it's available, it has a slight citrus scent which I like. My grocery store has it on sale for $5 about once every two months and I stock up.
I'll give it a try...although a citrus scent is odd for a litter. I've always read cats don't like the smell of citrus. Don't believe everything you read?

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
Well, maybe that's just how it smells to me. :grin: It's not advertised that way.

There's also a new one with Glade in it, haven't tried that one yet.

Oh, do NOT try the lightweight one, I've heard nothing but horrible things about it.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I read bad things about the lightweight one as well. I also couldn't figure out why anyone would want a lightweight litter. I mean, I suppose if she had a cat, my Mom (at age 81) might like litter that's light to carry in the house...but appealing to those who struggle to carry a pail of litter doesn't exactly strike me as a huge target market!

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
My Mom is actually one of the people who tried it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
anyone used Dr. Elsey's precious cat ultra litter or world's best cat litter? Curious how it would compare to Tidy Cat or Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra. It's the only litter I'll use, now XD I've tried many different clay litters over the years, and tried crystal litters, and some other crazy kinds.

I find the clumping clay litter to be the easiest to deal with, and Dr. Elsey's is almost dust-free. It's really a fantastic litter.

I personally don't think pine (or any wood-based, or grain-based, or organic-based) litter is entirely safe, as it provides a medium for bacteria to grow when moisture hits (i.e., cat urine). I know there aren't a lot of "scientific studies" about this, but there have been aflatoxins found in corn/grain litter bags before. I know a lot of owners use organic-based litter and love it, but I won't use it myself :}

·
Registered
15 Posts
LakotaWolf - I am using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra (only had my cat for about 2 months) and this is the only litter I used but I was just curious if the cheaper brands like Tidy Cat are any good, wouldn't hurt to save a couple dollars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.