Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To preface this, I am in my 30s and never owned a cat until a 1.5 years ago so I'm not totally familiar with cats so maybe this is normal behavior.
I have a 1.5 year old resident neutered male cat and 3 weeks ago I took in a spayed female that the vet says is around 6-7 years old. She is extremely affectionate and sweet and I love her so much but am getting concerned that she only seems to want to sit on my bed or the couch all day and only gets up to eat/use the litter box and sometimes comes to rub on me and get pets.
I've tried getting her interested in a few different toys but no luck! Is this normal? The vet says she is healthy and I don't know her background so maybe she is just super chill and lazy. She has a healthy appetite and drinks plenty of water. Is this normal for her age?

·
Registered
51 Posts
She's still settling in and learning the routine it sounds like. Once my cats were with me for a couple months, they opened up and showed me their playful sides. She might just be a super chill cat. My 4 year old sleeps in his cave most of the time and only comes out for food, potty, and the occasional cuddle. Have you had her in to have a check-up? After she's settled into your home, at about 7 or 8 years old, it's recommended to get a senior blood panel to check if anything is developing.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Since you don't know her background, it's hard to say. She sounds normal to me. Eating and sleeping are great ways to pass the time, since hunting isn't on the agenda. She sounds pretty happy to me. :)

Thank you for giving a home to the homeless!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had her in twice for checkup and shots/deworming etc and she did have an upper respiratory infection when I first got her but she's been here for almost a month now and had her antibiotics already. I took her last week for a recheck and they said she was good but I may request a blood panel just to be sure

She does seem to be content so I hope that is the case! I just love her so much! She is the sweetest baby

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sometimes they can be really tired after being sick, just like us. It takes about 3 months to fully settle in, so she's probably still getting used to things.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
My daughter adopted a cat who was a few years old and had pretty much ignored by her previous family. She had no idea how to play with toys, other cats, or people. She was very loving and liked to just lay around. After having her a couple of years she now sometimes plays with toys or the other cats but her main desire is to sit on your lap and be pet. So I wouldn’t worry about her to much. She really is learning about her new home. I’d be thankful she is so loving already. As long as she eats, sleeps and uses the liter box just give her love! She will eventually come around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you're concerned why not do the blood panel? If it comes back normal it will just help put your mind at ease. I have a cat that took no interest at all in any toy I presented him with. My other cat plays with them so I keep buying them. Out of the blue, one day I come home with a new toy and they're both going nuts over it. Most things just don't amuse him but that one did for some reason. Did you try a lazer pointer? Most cats jump off the couch for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts