Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Spooky 1.5 years, Sweet Potato 4 months
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new here. Just over a week ago, we adopted a 4 month old kitten named Sweet Potato. He is very calm and friendly, and loves my Cat Spooky, he’s always giving him head butts which Spooky ignores. When they met, Spooky only hissed and growled the first night, by the next day he was already showing interest. After a few days Spooky seems to be tolerating him. They play fight together and will stand beside each other while waiting for their food. At first, everything seemed fine, Spooky would still sit with me at night like always. But the last two or three days, he seems to have become a lot less affectionate. He barely wants to spend any time with me. I try to give him his space, but instead of following me around and sitting on the couch with us at night, he just sleeps in his bed in the spare room. I know it’s been only a little over a week, so I don’t know if this is temporary or if I ruined my relationship with him by getting a second kitten. Part of the reason I even got a second kitten is because Spooky is so playful and always seems bored during the day. But now I feel like I’ve ruined his life. I’m not sure what to do, as he and the kitten seem to be okay with each other for the most part. Does this typically get better with time? Thanks for any help, I’ve been so upset.

·
Registered
981 Posts
the thing with something like this is that there is really no "typically". Every cat and every person is different and every situation is as well.

I have brought a new animal into my home and had the integration be seamless. I have also had the entire household fall apart and all relationships become strained and the new animal couldn't stay. And in the middle, I have had it happen the way it is happening for you - the new animal is accepted but a relationship with someone else suffers. sometimes this gets better and sometimes it is never the same.

So there's no way for you to know with this if it will get better or not. Only time will tell. Sometimes a cat, when a new one comes into the house, will change their relationship with someone else (human or animal) in the home as a result. In my experience, it is not possible to change that if it happens. Others may have different experiences and maybe you will hear from them. I am sorry I can't be more encouraging.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Cats like routines and anytime we make a change in their environment, they react. It sounds like the introduction is going very well and that's a huge plus! I think Spooky just needs time to fully adjust to life with Sweet Potato, and you can help him through that by giving him lots of attention on a one-to-one basis and together with the "intruder".

And be prepared if your relationship with Spooky does change a bit. He may end up perfectly happy sharing time with you and another cat he can play and cuddle with. Sometimes we just have to let cats be cats and know we did a good thing by enriching their lives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts