Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to cats, but I am new to owning multiple cats. We have a 4-5 year old orange Tabby, named Ozzie(or as I call him, Buzz) who has been with us for 3 years(got him at a shelter). He is very very cuddly, constantly wants to be on your lap, cuddling with you, and will go up to anyone and everyone and be friendly towards them. Has only bitten me once because I scared him a little(on accident) otherwise he is the nicest cat I have ever seen.

A week ago we brought in a playmate as Buzz always seems very sad when my wife leaves for work for the day. We figured with his friendly nature he'd probably be more accustomed to having a friend around to play with during the day. Well I know that introducing cats isn't an overnight process and I don't expect it to be, but from what we are seeing so far, Buzz is afraid of this new kitten(who is 3.5 months old). He will hiss at her, she will hiss at him, then growl, and he will up and leave, sometimes running away. He has had free roam of the house for 3 years now and I don't want him to get pushed around and make him feel uncomfortable in his own home. Basically my question is, is this normal? Will Buzz eventually take back his territory? Will he be depressed, sad, or act different if the new kitty "takes over" his territory? Is it his trusting and friendly nature that allows the new kitty to push him around?

My wife is very concerned as she doesn't want Buzz to change or be uncomfortable in his own home as he's had a pretty good life so far and she doesn't want things to change. I just want to know if anyone has seen or experienced this and how it ended up? Again I know it might take awhile, but I don't want to ruin what Buzz has in his free roam and happiness.

Hope this all makes sense, if it doesn't feel free to ask questions and I will answer them as best I can.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
It's not too late to start over. Here are some great guidelines to follow for introducing cats:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

There's also a great book called Cat vs. Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett which gives some great insight into the behavior of multiple cats.

I don't think their behavior is too troubling, there's no fighting. But I wouldn't leave them alone together unsupervised.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Yes, I'd start over. Did you just put them together right from the start? A transistion period is needed for adult cats. Cats naturally do not like change - especially in their living conditions. Adding another cat to the house is rarely, if ever, met with open paws. There is always posturing and a pecking order to establish and if this is not done properly it can be disastrous. Start again by separating the new girl into her own room for several days. Give everyone time to decompress and relax. Then SLOWLY get them used to the idea that the other one is not leaving. I like to use baby gates stacked on top of each other so they can sniff and see but not touch.

After several days, or a week, as long as resident cat is not cowering under a bed all day and night, I would let them work things out. Some growling, some hissing is to be expected, but it should settle into a peaceful coexistence. They may become friends, they may not. It's tossup with adult cats. I have 5 that barely tolerate each other but do not cuddle or play together at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only gave a day between getting the new kitty and putting them face to face, that was probably my mistake. But now, it seems Buzz(the resident cat) is trying to be friendly towards Boo, but Boo is meeting that friendliness with hissing and growling. I'm guessing it might just be taking her longer to get into the hang of having a bigger cat around? I'm not too worried as it hasn't been long enough, I just wondered if the being scared of the smaller cat was normal.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Boo was there first, and he's establishing his territory, perfectly normal. He needs to let Buzz know that he's in charge. He just needs time to get used to the kitten. I'd separate them and start over too. My 18 pound cat was terrified of little 2 pound foster kittens I had and acted the same way, so yes, that's not unusual!

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
I think it might have less to do with size than being something strange and new. They both need a little time. You might want to try feeding them treats together, so they can learn that being near each other sometimes means good things. :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
One really interesting thing I read when I was going through this same thing introducing my new kitten to my resident cat is that adult cats sometimes respond fearfully to new kittens because they're worried that the kitten's mother might be nearby. It could be that Buzz is worried the Boo's mom is going to come beat him up for being near her!

·
Registered
70 Posts
start over

I also recommend reading Cat vs. Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett follow her methods, I introduced two kittens to my 1 1/2 year old MEAN tortie-resident cat, the tortie hated the kittens and was petrified of them! She seemed depressed, wouldn't play anymore, seemed angrier then ever, she would attack me and my husband if we walked in front of her....after following the advice from the book, within 6 months they were all fine together. Now just over a year later the tortie still has issues with the male cat, she will hiss at him once in awhile, but she is back to normal. They all get along pretty much, sleeping together on the bed, they share window space...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts