Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
If the smell is strong enough, it will get through any face mask. The best you can do is wear one that keeps it down to a minimum, and make sure it's snug on your face. Some paper tape around the edges may help.

I am wondering, though, why the smell is so bad. Cat poop always has some odor to it but shouldn't be overwhelming. It may be because of their diet. If my Sophie has too much seafood, she can clear an entire room in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
149 Posts
The respirator you ordered comes with particulate (dust) filters. What you want are organic vapor cartridges (activated charcoal).

Make sure the face mask fits correctly. If it doesn't, it won't seal and let in unfiltered air.

When not in use, store your respirator in a Zip Lock bag to extend the life of the filters. Clean the face mask with alcohol wipes and dry before storing.

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
206 Posts
So true. Andy has stinky poops but I just scoop them, flush them down the toilet and move on. At least I know when it is time to scoop the litter box. Maybe wear a Covid mask?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The respirator you ordered comes with particulate (dust) filters. What you want are organic vapor cartridges (activated charcoal).

Make sure the face mask fits correctly. If it doesn't, it won't seal and let in unfiltered air.

When not in use, store your respirator in a Zip Lock bag to extend the life of the filters. Clean the face mask with alcohol wipes and dry before storing.
Would this one work: Amazon.com: 3M Disposable Respirator, Half Face Piece Assembly 5301, Organic Vapor Respiratory Protection, Large Size: Industrial & Scientific I don't see charcoal mentioned though....

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you need a respirator to clean that litter box you're walking a very fine line. It's either your cat will refuse to use it or get seriously sick, or both. I assume you feed him some starchy kibble, please stop, cats can't digest carbs properly, especially starch. Or is it urine smell? In this case clumping litter that contains baking soda works really well

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
It's either your cat will refuse to use it or get seriously sick, or both.
Not sure why a person wearing a mask would cause either of these in their cats.

I assume you feed him some starchy kibble, please stop, cats can't digest carbs properly, especially starch.
The OP has another thread about feeding their cat. WET food.

I started wearing masks a few years ago just because of the litter dust. I figured having cats and breathing in dust for more than 10 years, at least twice a day, can't be good. So when Covid hit, I was the only person among my friends, family and co-workers with boxes of masks (bought in bulk). I gave them to anyone who wanted some, but I made every dog person say "Cats rule!" before they could get any. 😄

Charlee has a stinky poop every other day or so. Good grief, it could take the paint off the walls. In my neighbor's house. It's always been like this, no idea why. But every time? I would be talking to a vet.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, but that one doesn't have replaceable filters. When the filters are used up, you have to replace the entire mask. It protects primarily against vapors. A cotton filter would have to be purchased separately for protection from particulates (dust).

Instead, get these filters to install on your 3M 6200 face mask. They protect against vapors and come with a cotton filter you can install for protection from dust-

If you're not worried about dust, you can save money with these filters. They work for vapors-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure why a person wearing a mask would cause either of these in their cats.

The OP has another thread about feeding their cat. WET food.

I started wearing masks a few years ago just because of the litter dust. I figured having cats and breathing in dust for more than 10 years, at least twice a day, can't be good. So when Covid hit, I was the only person among my friends, family and co-workers with boxes of masks (bought in bulk). I gave them to anyone who wanted some, but I made every dog person say "Cats rule!" before they could get any. 😄

Charlee has a stinky poop every other day or so. Good grief, it could take the paint off the walls. In my neighbor's house. It's always been like this, no idea why. But every time? I would be talking to a vet.
Most wet foods contain starchy fillers. Cats will refuse to use litter box once it's too smelly. Extreme odor is a sign that something is wrong. Dusty litter is not good for cat either

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, but that one doesn't have replaceable filters. When the filters are used up, you have to replace the entire mask. It protects primarily against vapors. A cotton filter would have to be purchased separately for protection from particulates (dust).

Instead, get these filters to install on your 3M 6200 face mask. They protect against vapors and come with a cotton filter you can install for protection from dust-

If you're not worried about dust, you can save money with these filters. They work for vapors-
Are there any that contain both of these, or can you only choose one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
130 Posts
I would just fill an empty icecream bucket or similar with some warm water and dish washing soap, and then scrub the litter box with an old dishwasher cloth or sponge. I haven't used the product you suggested so I can't advise you on that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are there any that contain both of these, or can you only choose one?
Reread my post. One of the links I provided is for vapor filters that come with cotton filter add-ons for added protection against dust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts