Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got this russian blue mutt a year ago from the SPCA. They claimed he was 2 months old, but he still looked too small. The story was that the owner surrendered the whole litter, and all his brothers and sisters were adobted the day before. Also odd, he a neutered a week or so before I adobted him, so if he really was 8 weeks, then possibly 6 weeks? does that seem right? And this litter was given up in San Antonio. They ran out of room, so they had to ship the litter to the Dallas SPCA. So I dont know when he actually left his mother.

Anyway, when I brought him home, for a week he wouldnt shut up. All he did was screamed NAIR! NAIR! almost like he had an adult voice. He would climb on you (assuming normal) and try to get as close to you as possible. Even trying to stick his head in your mouth. Just so he could make sure you heard NAIR! He wouldnt eat anything. So he wouldnt die, I gave him normal milk, and later poured it and sometimes added tuna to his dry food till he finally realized that cat food, was actually eatible. I never did give him Nair as he requested, but the food seemed to shut him up and give him a kitten squeak, isntead of whatever adult lingo he had.

Whenever I came home, I would always know where he was; fast asleep on my blue fuzzy sleepers. He was so small he just layed on one. When he was awake I noticed that he would knead them (assuming normal) but then he would also suck them. After several months of sucking, a moist tanlike fuzzy sleeper grossed me out. So I washed it. It became light blue again, but he didnt want anything to do with it. So I decided to wear it again. And a week later, he returned to sucking on it, but only one, not the other. He is a year old now, and still sucking. I think its cute, but is there actually something wrong with him?

·
Registered
722 Posts
HAHAHAH sorry I can't stop laughing at the NAIR!!! Yeah its normal, kittens who were seperated from their mothers too early usually have a habit of sucking on things. He may or may not outgrow it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes, I'll agree, this all sounds very normal. My mother got her cat when she was only about 6 weeks old and for YEARS she would suck and kneed on my mother's bathrobe. But only while she was wearing it.....

She eventually grew out of this, but it took something like 6 years!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But why that slipper? Why not other things? Did his mother smell like my feet? I have other blue furry slippers that I've worn that he doesnt touch. I mean, i have another cat who has a "baby" He'll carry it around by the neck, and do other stuff with it, but only that animal, no other toys. Is this one slipper his "baby" or well, his "mommy" and there can only be one?

Also kinda sad... ...he never purrs. Ever! It worried me, until I discovered that he does infact purr. When he was a kitten, and even today, the only time he will purr, is while hes sucking on the slipper, and only during. My other cat purrs 24/7 Cant shut him up.

As for the NAIR, its been a year and he now has an adult version of his squeak, but still hasnt asked for NAIR since the week I brought him home.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dusty&Lou said:
Yes, I'll agree, this all sounds very normal. My mother got her cat when she was only about 6 weeks old and for YEARS she would suck and kneed on my mother's bathrobe. But only while she was wearing it.....

She eventually grew out of this, but it took something like 6 years!
Now that is weird. My cat will suck on the slipper if your wearing it or not. I perfer not to wear it now, cuz, like I said moist slipper, ewe! I wonder why the rope had to be worn.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My kittys mother had a fatal accedent when they were very young, somwhere around two weeks. They were three weeks old when I took them in. I had to feed them from a bottle and everything.

Their first day in our home I gave them a basket with a blanket in in. It is kind of a fuzzy blanket. They are now two years old and they still knead and suck on this blanket. They love it and will sleep on it wherever it is laying.

Your kitty probably is partial to those slippers because they are what he first found to comfort him, In place of his mother. I doubt he will grow out of this behavior because he was taken from his mother to early. I would just let him have the slippers, and get yourself another pair. It really will make your kitten feel better.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well - the first message was very disturbing to me. I was in a meeting at work and I got a laughing fit. Couldn't stop. Had to shut the computer off and run out. NAIR!

·
Registered
115 Posts
My cat who is about nine months old has a favorite fuzzy blue blanket with penguins on it. I have other fuzzy blankets that are the exact same texture but different colors, but he won't have anything to do with them. He won't lay on my bed unless his blanket is there for him to lay on. I think cats definitely get attached to specific items, so there's nothing wrong with his attachment to your slipper. My kitty was also about 6 weeks old when I got him, and he still kneads and sucks on his blanket.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hahahahaha, that story made me laugh so much! I can just imagine a little kitten screaming NAIR! :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would be a bit concerned about the fact that they neutered him so young moreso than the other things. Those other issues sound perfectly normal for a kitten.

Did I understand right that they neutered him at just around 6-7 wks old?? Does anyone know if this could cause urinary problems or any other medical problems in the long run?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
jvan71 said:
I would be a bit concerned about the fact that they neutered him so young moreso than the other things. Those other issues sound perfectly normal for a kitten.

Did I understand right that they neutered him at just around 6-7 wks old?? Does anyone know if this could cause urinary problems or any other medical problems in the long run?
Supposedly it can be performed this young though most doctors don't advise it but medically speaking there were no side effects or disorders from doing it too young of age. Some doctors do not know how to do surgery on such a young one but many places at shelters do it to prevent overpopulation. :wink:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I had questioned them about why and if it was safe. Though in my paperwork I said I would neuter him (didnt know he already was) they claimed they do it to every adoptable animal. If he wasnt neutered when he was at the mall, they wouldnt of even brought him. They claimed that they do this to MAKE CERTAIN they get fixed. They claimed that people would say they would, and then never do, and then suddenly they end up having more cats coming into the SPCA then leaving. And of course they want to give homes to these animals ASAP, so regardless of age, they must be prepared to go, especially since kittens are more likely to get adopted at that age then when theyre older.

Anyways, the kitten is indeed my avatar. He had just taken a bath. He had some fleas that he was alergic to, and scratched so hard some of his fur would come off and blister. Perhaps this was the reason he kept requesting for Nair. Ya know, no place for those demons to live.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Just thought I'd add that my 4 year old Franny (was 7 weeks old when i brought her home) sucked on her own tail for atleast 9 months. She was just about a year old when this stopped. Every night she'd fall asleep curled up on my chest and would suck on her tail and knead on my for hours. I actually got used to it and when she stopped it seemed weird. However, all my friends seemed to think it was strange that my cat had a wet tail tip nearly all day long.

My 9 week old kitten found a grey fleece throw blanket on my couch about a week ago and hasn't been able to part with it since. She buries her face in it to the point where I move her a little bit for fear she's going to suffocate... She will suck on this blanket all night long and if you try to move it or take it away she'll wake up and look for it and then walk over to it and start sucking on it again. I've tried to replace it with a fleece robe i never use, but she refused and went back to the throw. So, we've given in and will be buying a replacement throw for the living room. Since we know she was taken away from her mom early and it's obvious that it's a comfort thing, we've named her blanket "Mama".

·
Registered
465 Posts
Clover was found by the side of the road at age 6 weeks and came home with me at age 8 weeks. I was pretty much the only one she had contact with for a while, so she seems to think of me as her "mom." At first, she kneaded on me, but that was painful (she would only do it on my bare skin), so I gradually got her to start kneading on the side of a cat bed. Now she's over 2 years old, and every night she races me up to bed to "nurse" on her cat bed while I'm petting her. Then she falls asleep there, next to me (the cat bed is on my bed). She's the oldest kitten I know :D

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
That's cute that Clover's bed is on your bed. I guess though since we put Addison's blanket a.k.a. "Mama" on our bed, it's the same in a way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts