Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our adoption center / animal hospital is suggesting retesting for FIV/FELV and heartworm about three months after adoption. Our cat was about 9 months old when adopted and is approaching one year old. She doesn't like being boxed or going to the vet, so I'd like to check before doing this.

Does this sound like a good idea? Is FIV/FELV treatable if detected?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Did the adoption center say WHY you should get your cat retested?
As I understand it, at the age of 9 months, the results of the initial test would be pretty valid (under a certain age, not so much because of antibodies from the mother cat).
What is the background of the cat--was she living outside for a long time; if so, she might be more prone to FIV/FELK, though not by a lot.
Heartworm is pretty rare in some locales; do you know if it is where you live? (The same testing test for FIV/FELK and Heartworm.)
Also note that if the cat has ever been vaccinated against FELK, she will test positive (false).
Neither FIV nor FELK is treatable, but they are not death sentences by any means. If you have another cat, then, yes, I would get your cat tested. There are effective ways to less the possibility of transmission.
If you don't have another cat, then I would simply wait until there is some other reason for taking her in, for example, rabies vaccination.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the adoption center say WHY you should get your cat retested?
It's boilerplate that was part of the papers they gave us when we adopted. They recommend that all cats over 6 months have the tests repeated 3 months from the date of the first test.

What is the background of the cat--was she living outside for a long time; if so, she might be more prone to FIV/FELK, though not by a lot.
If I recall correctly, adoption center said a member of the prior adopter's family was allergic. We keep her indoors.

Heartworm is pretty rare in some locales; do you know if it is where you live? (The same testing test for FIV/FELK and Heartworm.)
I don't know. We live in New York City

Also note that if the cat has ever been vaccinated against FELK, she will test positive (false).
The only vaccines they list are one-year vaccinations for FVRCP (done in December) and rabies (done in July).

If you have another cat, then, yes, I would get your cat tested. There are effective ways to less the possibility of transmission.
If you don't have another cat, then I would simply wait until there is some other reason for taking her in, for example, rabies vaccination.
We don't have another cat.

Would it make sense to do the FVRCP and rabies re-vaccinations, as well as an annual checkup and heartworm and FIV/FELK retests all at once? Would it be safe to wait until December, even though the one year rabies expires in July? Or should we have everything done in July or some time between July and December?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.