Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was convinced that we had Quinn's marking under control months ago, well before we felt confident enough to bring home another cat. Evidently not -- he JUST sprayed one of his old "favorite" corners in the office :evil: I'm not sure I can pinpoint the cause, and would like some advice from the board. But first, some backstory:

Quinn is a neutered 4 yo male. Last spring, before it was too hot to turn on the AC, we were in the habit of leaving windows open. Quinn began marking in various corners of the bedroom, and also in one corner of the office (directly behind the computer; and he'd only mark there if one of us was in the office and not looking at him). After getting Q checked out with the vet, we concluded that Quinn was upset by the smell of a feral cat who was spraying outside on the property, and we have diligently kept the windows shut ever since. We also made some upgrades to the litter box and invested in Feliway diffusers. He hasn't marked in over 6 months, and displayed no suspicious behaviors when we brought home Minerva (3yo spayed female).

Fast forward to the present. In the last two days, my boyfriend has left the windows open more often, either because we've been cooking something smoky indoors or because it doesn't make sense to turn on the AC when there is nice fall weather outdoors. Quinn has been more hostile to Minerva in the last few days, and he marked behind me just a few moments ago.

So, do you all think this is a response to some change in his relationship with Minerva, or does it seem clear that his marking is triggered by leaving the windows open? Also, follow-up question... does anyone have experience controlling urine marking with prescriptions such as fluoxetine (Prozac)? My vet mentioned this to me once as a possible option, but I'd appreciate any advice from board members.

Sigh. Boycats.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've never dealt with spraying from my boys but from what you type it sounds like it is the open windows causing it again.

I have heard many have success from medication but I personally would try to avoid medication at any cost.

Leslie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts