Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm a bit anxious about Lenore and I was hoping some of you could guide me a bit in this or maybe share some experiences in case your cats have gone through something similar.

On monday I noticed Lenore seemed lethargic and I noticed she wasn't meowing at all. She also seemed at discomfort, I don't know how to describe it, but her fur seemed... clumpy? (sorry, english isn't my mother language). I remember Travis, my other cat, used to look like this when he didn't feel well or was in pain. She stayed in my bed that night, but she seemed to have a hard time falling asleep and kept moving.

Next morning we took her to the vet and he told us she has rhinotracheitis, as well as an infected wound under her chin which we had not noticed. She also had a bit of fever. I felt terrible after this, because I had seen the wound about a week before, but it seemed to have healed. I also remembered that a week ago, she had been coughing. It was not frequent though, I heard her cough two or three times, and on separate days. I thought she had a fur ball stuck in her throat.

The vet gave her a penicillin shot and told us to give her amoxicilin for 10 days every 12 hours. Since we came back from the vet and started her treatment, I haven't really noticed many improvements. It could be because she's on her second day of treatment, but she still seems very lethargic, has been laying in bed most of the time, seems a bit fevered and she's breathing faster than usual (not wheezing or making any noises though). She has not stopped eating or drinking (she makes small trips to the kitchen at morning and night, and accepts tha canned food I've been giving her), and she has urinated and defecated.

Could it be the side effects of antibiotics? How long do they take to recover from this? I'm freaking out a bit, she's 10 years old and she'd only been sick twice before in her life, and nothing complicated... should I worry more? :( Help

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry! I got mixed up about something and couldn't edit it... she was diagnosed with tracheitis, not rhinotracheitis.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Usually takes 3 days for abios to kick in. If she's not feeling better by tomorrow I would take her back in. She may need a different abio. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. You were right, after the third day she seemed a little better- she started moving around the house more instead of sleeping all day. However she still seems to lack energy, and I notice she still breathes rather fastly. Should I worry? Or is this the normal course of the disease? The vet told us to give her antibiotics for 10 days. My father says we're only giving her meds for 7 days, since he thinks the dose will end up affecting her (he's a doctor and they use the same medication on children). I would rather follow the vet's instructions, but I don't know. Help? :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts