Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just a quick refresher, my seven year old cat Ringo is a CRF kitty. He had been doing well since his diagnosis on Feb. 1 of last year.

We moved to Arizona just over a month ago. I noticed he was eating less and he is clearly losing weight again.

I am in and out of town for job training over the next six weeks so I'm boarding him at the best vet/kennel I could find in town. The vet examined him and his kidney values have not changed much, but the doctor told me he detected a slight heart murmur and would like to x-ray his chest next week. He also prescribed enalapril, in a small dose.

The doctor didn't seem too concerned about the CRF aspect, telling me he looked very good for a CRF cat but the weight loss is bothering me. I'm wondering is some of it is stress related from the move and being boarded. Also, his best friend (my other cat, Casey) is staying with my ex until mid-May before being flown out here. Maybe that's bothering him, too; I don't know.

Anyway, anyone out there with pets with heart murmurs?

·
Banned
948 Posts
I'm not surprised your kitty is having trouble - his entire little life has been upended. In his mind, he's lost everything he knew and everybody he cared for. :-(

Other than providing him with as much routine as you can, I don't have much to offer you... hmmm, would it be possible to have someone come to your house instead of sending him off to board every time you leave? That might cut down on some of his continued discomfort. I'd also get his buddy back with him as soon as you can.

<<<Hugs>>>

AC

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Neither of my cats has experienced heart murmurs, although I understand they're often not serious...and I hope that's the case with Ringo. If his lack of appetite and weight loss is unrelated to his CRF, then it quite possibly is stress-related, since he seems to have gone through a lot of change lately. I agree with AC. Rather than boarding him, it would be better if he could remain at home and you could have someone look in on him at least once a day while you're away. If you don't know anyone where you now are, perhaps you might ask your vet for a recommendation. Vets are often familiar with cat sitters.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to board him at least one more week so the vet can x-ray him.

I don't know anybody here. I'm in a small town and I'm concerned I won't be able to find anybody who can sub-q and pill Ringo. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I'm going to board him at least one more week so the vet can x-ray him.
Heart murmur and weight loss are both common symptoms of hyperthyroidism, though of course they can occur for other causes, as well. Before you have the x-ray done, I strongly recommend you have your vet run a Total T4 blood test to check his thyroid function. If he is hyperT, that would explain the heart murmur.

[/QUOTE]I don't know anybody here. I'm in a small town and I'm concerned I won't be able to find anybody who can sub-q and pill Ringo. I'll see what I can do.[/QUOTE]

Vet techs sometimes do petsitting on the side, and they'd be more than qualified to administer meds and subQ's to Ringo in your own home. They should also be able to recognize symptoms that would indicate Ringo might require veterinary care. Ask at your vet clinic or any other clinics in town if they have techs who do petsitting.

Laurie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have to board him this week. I was able to coax him into eating some twice yesterday. I will instruct the vet to monitor his eating until I can pick him up on Saturday.

I am trying to rent a place for a month on Craigslist. Two people have said they can work something out. Hopefully something works out. I want my little buddy to be o.k.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump for a serious question-

I am going to be home for a very short time this weekend and I will only be able to have Ringo from Saturday morning until Sunday morning. Then I would not be back to pick him up until the following Saturday. Do you think it would be better to leave him at the vets and adjust to his surroundings or would it be better to bring him home and spend a day with him? He has been eating a little but they have been force-feeding him some wet food as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts