Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How contagious are ringworms? I was cleaning cages and one cat had ringworm... I didn't touch her but I did touch something that was in her cage. I immediately washed my hands when I got home. Is there any way that I could get ringworm or give it to my cats?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
All copied and pasted from:
http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/ringworm.html

Ringworm is a contagious fungus infection that can affect the scalp, the body, the feet (athlete's foot), or the nails.
* People can get Ringworm from: 1) direct skin-to-skin contact with an infected person or pet, 2) indirect contact with an object or surface that an infected person or pet has touched, or 3) rarely, by contact with soil.
* Ringworm can be treated with fungus-killing medicine.
* To prevent Ringworm, 1) make sure all infected persons and pets get appropriate treatment, 2) avoid contact with infected persons and pets, 3) do not share personal items, and 4) keep common-use areas clean.

What is Ringworm?
Ringworm is a contagious fungus infection that can affect the scalp, the body (particularly the groin), the feet, and the nails. Despite its name, it has nothing to do with worms. The name comes from the characteristic red ring that can appear on an infected person's skin. Ringworm is also called Tinea.

What is the infectious agent that causes Ringworm?
Ringworm is caused by several different fungus organisms that all belong to a group called "Dermatophytes." Different Dermatophytes affect different parts of the body and cause the various types of Ringworm:
* Ringworm of the scalp
* Ringworm of the body
* Ringworm of the foot (athlete's foot)
* Ringworm of the nails

Where is Ringworm found?
Ringworm is widespread around the world and in the United States. The fungus that causes scalp Ringworm lives in humans and animals. The fungus that causes Ringworm of the body lives in humans, animals, and soil. The fungi that cause Ringworm of the foot and Ringworm of the nails live only in humans.

How do people get Ringworm?
Ringworm is spread by either direct or indirect contact. People can get Ringworm by direct skin-to-skin contact with an infected person or pet. People can also get Ringworm indirectly by contact with objects or surfaces that an infected person or pet has touched, such as hats, combs, brushes, bed linens, stuffed animals, telephones, gym mats, and shower stalls. In rare cases Ringworm can be spread by contact with soil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts