Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so bad. He goes in the end of February. The end of January he goes in for a set of shots. I cant help but worry. I am not sure what vet im going to for shots but already know the vet im going to for the neuter. The shots will cost me $59 plus tax at a vet 20 minutes away. So factor in the $20 worth of gas it may be better to take him to a vet in my area where the average price is $70 for shots. But the vet 20 minutes away will charge me $112 for a neuter verses the normal $300 for the other 15 vets I called. Money is tight so I have to do the cheapest option but will not skip out on pain killers. The microchip will cost an extra $100. I am still half way on that.

Now, is there anything else I should know? What to look out for? This is my first male cat I have gotten fixed..well actually its my first male cat period. We had one growing and he was fixed but I dont remember much. I already know the vet will harp on me for feeding raw and choosing limited vaccines. The only reason he is getting a rabies shot is because they wont neuter him without one.

How quickly do they heal up?..he told me they would be shaving his testicular area...:eek:..poor guy. First he looses his balls and now hes gotta walk around naked back there so everyone can see.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This is what I have to say to just about everything you just said: :yikes

Microchip is $100?? Is that the chip and a registration fee? Most of the vets around me only charge $30-50 for microchipping.

Neuter is $300??? My vet quoted me at $75 for neutering, $90 for spaying...because neutering is much easier.
Also, why are they shaving? Must be for convenience for the vet's sake to work with more "visibility". All neutering is (as far as I know), is slitting open the "sack" and taking out the testicles. Some vets also remove the sack, but some vets leave it there for "aesthetic" purposes (one kitten at the sanctuary I volunteer for had this, and it still looks like he hasn't been fixed at all!)

I dunno about shots. I get mine from the supervisor at the rescue group I volunteer for.

Then again, all this seems expensive to me, anyway. Our group has an adoption fee of $85... and with that, the new cat/kitten is fixed (or we give a voucher to fix later, if too young yet), basic physical exam, deworming, shots (except rabies), microchip and one bag of discounted food.

EDIT: Oh, and they heal pretty quick. Dunno about the males, but my female kittens were back to rough-housing and wrestling with each other only 2 days after.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You actually might be able to skip the take-home painkillers. I got some when we brought Apollo home after his neuter, but he was totally fine and I ended up not using any of them. You may be alright with whatever post-op painkillers they give him at the office? Not sure.

The things they told me were keep him calm and confined in one room, because he may be in pain and may be lethargic from the meds.

Honestly none of this advice applied to Apollo. He was up and about and playing with toys within minutes. Although he was very young (8 or 9 weeks) when I adopted him, and has an extremely feisty personality anyway. he's my first male kitten (and was my first kitten period) so I don't have a lot of experience to go on.

The good news is, neutering is way easier and less invasive than spaying. We got Athena a week or two after she'd already been spayed, but I've heard the recovery time on that tends to be longer. Neuter recovery time seems to be pretty fast.

In Apollo's case I was actually genuinely concerned at first that they had somehow forgotten to neuter him, since he didn't seem to be in any pain and I couldn't even see the incision. XD

Edit: That does all sound a bit pricey, now that Vivid Dawn mentions it. The total adopt fee for Apollo was a little over $100 and that included neutering, microchipping, and his first set of vaccinations and vet exam. Athena was a little closer to $200 (she came from a no-kill shelter). But I dunno, maybe the shelters take a loss there and adopt out cheap just to help increase adoption rates? I'm not sure. You might be able to shop around a bit and find some of those services a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am in Canada. Prices here are way more expensive. My friend just got his Saint Bernard neutered for a whopping $800. My friend had her lab spayed for $700 as she had one litter so the vet charged more..dunno why. I am not doing any blood work either. It will cost me $100-$150 for pre op blood work. I figured I would rather get him neutered now then wait a while to say up that extra.

Oh and that microchip fee dont include the registration fee. At least it didnt when I got my dog chipped..Also those are the cheapest prices I found. $112 for neuter without blood work or IV or any other extras and $59 for shots.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Personally, unless the surgury was difficult (cryptorchid and they had to go digging for a retained testicle) I would pass on pain meds for male cats/kittens. IMO, it is *good* to have them be a little sore so they won't over-do any activities when they get home. Female cats are different, I always opt for pain meds for them and ask for take-home meds for the 1st few days, too.

Recovery for males is very quick. Usually by the 2nd day they aren't even being careful when they sit down anymore. I had an adult tomcat neutered in December, along with a momcat spayed, and I kept both in my garage for a week. I could have let Mr. Gray out on the 2nd day, but I kept him inside to keep BB company during her recovery. I gave them separate beds on the same shelf, 2' apart in case they needed space away from each other and I placed heating pads under the beds since the garage wasn't heated. I also made a ramp for BB to get up/down for food/water and litterbox.
Mr. Gray was shaved, but only his scrotal sacks. Of course BB's entire belly was shaved. I wish they'd shaved a smaller area on her because she is an outdoor barncat, but her fur (and Gray's) are growing in quickly.

I've got the $ together to spay/neuter the four kittens, but I am debating sending my deaf-kitt to the s/n clinic. I've been waiting so she can recover as much as possible from her neuro issues and grow, she's 1-1.5# smaller than her siblings, and I want her to have the best chance at an easy spay ... but I am considering paying the more expensive amount to have my vet do the spay ... just because it is her and she *is* special because of her issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They shaved my cat for his neutering, it's still growing back in--it's been about three or so weeks since. It looked really funny at first because they did this big rectangle on his backside, lol

I got him two days after he was neutered and he was quite playful in spite of being sick with a cold, but there was another kitten who was still groggy from his neutering on the same day...so I suppose it all depends for recovery, but it's supposedly a simple procedure--my pre-vet friends say male cats don't even bleed when getting neutered

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could so see Lincoln and Riot meeting after I bring him home and Lincoln being like "She got to you too I see and smell" lol. I am going to be a massive paranoid irritated person the day I drop him off. I will not let them keep him overnight unless someone will be there overnight with him (and I will check). I just feel if know one is there to supervise him overnight then he must not really need to stay overnight..its and extra $50 if they want to keep him overnight. I took Link home the same day, I just feel I can be there for them every minute if something goes wrong I can get help, where if something goes wrong in the vets office overnight they wont find him until the morning.

Maybe I will say no to the pain killers. I wonder if Lincoln will nurse him..or laugh at him hehe

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had been quoted over $400 for neutering Leo when he was 2.5yo. I think I finally found a vet who would do it for $200. This is why I'm considering a vet 2 1/2 hrs away near my parents. I'll just haul them up there when I visit for their yearly appointment.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some calling around today. The highest price for shots I found were $127. The average price being $89. The cheapest I found was $59. The highest price for a neuter was $300. One vet said if the kitten is 6 months or under its $175..but if hes one month over 6 months its $195..wth?

The cheapest neuter I found was for $100, but the last female I got fixed there a while back wasnt done correctly and she kept going into heat. Also they incorrectly diagnosed my one dog twice. Then the one I origionally wanted to take him to is $115 with no blood test. But the one up the road is $185 and this includes blood work...so..I may end up taking him there instead if I got the extra cash.

Prices here are sad....to knock my 60lb dog out for x-rays would cost me $200 at one vet JUST to put him under, $95 at my normal vet and $45 at the one vet I called. So I guess I will take him to the cheaper vet for x-rays..

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got an appointment today. Riot goes in for a rabies shot January 31st and then gets the big snip February 28th.

Hopefully all goes well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts