Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my in-laws, but they make me so crazy! I'll try to keep the story short...

B.J. was my in-laws cat. He was about 18 years old, which means they got him when my husband was only about 10. So hubby loved this cat dearly. He really was an amazing cat; very smart, talkative (part siamese), and BIG. In his prime he was 22 pounds - no fat, all muscle. He used to bully the other cats in the neighborhood something awful! After beating up a cat, he would kiss up to the wimpy-cat's owners!

About a year ago, BJ became quite ill. He lost a ton of weight, peed like crazy, and drank anything he could get. Obviously diabetes. Unfortunately, my in-laws never took him to the vet. They figured he was old and rather than drug him up, let him live out his last days in peace. After all, he seemed happy. He loved to eat, purr, and snuggle up with anyone.

Over the last few weeks, BJ took a significant turn for the worse. He was nothing but skin and bones. I would guess he was down to about 5 pounds. It was painful to see him try to walk. He couldn't hold down food. And what little food he could get down went right through him.

Hubby and I begged his parents to take him to the vet and end his suffering. We even offered to take him for them, if they couldn't handle it. They kept saying that they would get to it and let us know how he was.

Last week, we got a call. BJ was taken to the vet and put down. They buried him in the back yard. The strange part was that these facts were almost footnotes on the other topics of the call. They really made it sound like it wasn't a big deal. I think if we hadn't been home, they would have left this information on the answering machine! Hubby was upset to lose his childhood cat, but even more upset that he couldn't be there for the burial! But his parents couldn't understand why he was upset. They totally didn't think it was a big deal.

Poor hubby. He's not sure how to feel. He misses his cat. He feels cheated. His furious with his parents. I have tried to comfort him, but I don't know what to say.

I also miss BJ. He was an amazing cat. He loved to be held and if you said "kissy, kissy", he would rub his face all over yours.

Rest in peace BJ. "Kissy, kissy, BeeGee, WeeGee"

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm so sorry. Try to be glad he is in a better place now. That is awful, and you guys have every right to be mad :cry:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A lot of people from an older generation do not have the same attitude about pets that we do, especially if they experienced the Great Depression of the 30s. It was hard enough to keep food on the table for the kids, so a pet was seen as frivolous. My parents (born in 1913 and 1915) never understood how I could be so attached to my cats. To your parents, it may really *not* have been a big deal, and they simply have no comprehension about what the cat meant to you.

Thank goodness we are the way we are, and able to get so much love and joy from our kitties -- they are really missing out!

But of course, with the joy comes the sorrow; it's all part of the circle. But it is true that BJ is out of pain and happy now; he will always be a part of you--he's could be a little kitty angel right there on your shoulder!

Hugs,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
99 Posts
so sorry about cat. :(

it makes me mad when people don't respect the feelings of others... even if his parents didn't know why he'd be so mad about it, they should have at least acknowledged his feelings.

·
Registered
560 Posts
That sounds a lot like my grandma. She is so nonchalant about pet cats dying. Just the other day my dad made a crack about my Tigger EATING my baby kitten - and my grandmother said "Oh... oh well... Tigger was here first..." with a shrug. It's mostly with cats though - she will fret over dogs - like a sneeze is the worst thing in the world - but cats... All her elderly friends are the same - if it's cats... it just doesn't matter if they live or die.

Sorry to hear about his passing - I know you'll miss him a lot. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts