1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It is so sad, and as you said Mow Mow he was a very generous kind man in real life. In the words of Spock he lived long and prospered. He will be missed hugely

·
Super Moderator
26,389 Posts
Pure class act. I enjoyed watching him in Fringe, too.

Something I didn't know:
Nimoy directed the biggest box-office hit of 1987, "Three Men and a Baby."
He struggled with being typecast.

He titled a 1975 memoir "I Am Not Spock." Though the book was less a rejection of the character than what he went through to develop him, fans took umbrage.

Twenty years later, he called another memoir "I Am Spock."
But in the end, was on good terms with "Spock."

"I am not Spock," he wrote. "But given the choice, if I had to be someone else, I would be Spock. If someone said, 'You can have the choice of being any other TV character ever played,' I would choose Spock. I like him. I admire him. I respect him."

·
Registered
653 Posts
Very sad to hear the news. I saw him filming in town a few years ago and he was so patient with all the fans around. Signing autographs, taking pictures at 11 pm, pure class act!

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Very Sad Day...:'(
Live Long and Prosper, Leonard...
You are now, a True Part of the Stars, and Galaxies above.

(He also loved photography, and was quite accomplished at it!)

·
Registered
893 Posts
(His passing hurt me, too. The following is from someone who frequents another forum I am part of. It was a wonderful to hear this from someone who had limited contact with.)

"When I worked for Laufer Publications, he was one of my regulars. I was with him (mostly for interviews) at least a couple of times a week during my time at Laufer...and (although he certainly didn't have to do this) he arranged a permanent pass to the lot for me, so I could come and go as I wished without having to get a separate authorization for every visit...

...which meant that, when my sister got married, I was able to take her and her new husband onto the lot, and onto the set, when there was no one else in the building---we had the entire complex of show sets to ourselves.

My sister and her husband had several things they wanted to see, but the thing they wanted to see and experience most of all was that whatever-it-was (I have forgotten) where the actors stood in a specific place and were sort of de-atomized and then transported to another place...so I took them over there first...RIGHT onto that very spot.

There were no shooting lights on, just ambient light from the open studio doors...which meant that we could see perfectly, but it was totally different "lighting" (and a far different atmosphere) than existed when shooting was underway.

I took them over and told them to stand in a particular place that I pointed out...which they did. So they're standing there on a piece of plywood flooring, with a sheet of plywood up at the back, (the side walls weren't up at that moment because the set wasn't active for filming)...looking plenty puzzled as to WHY I told them to stand there.

"Where is [the transporter thing]?"

"You're STANDING on it!!!" I answered.

They looked down at their feet, then around at the flimsy-looking plywood "back wall" which was only partially supported, and just couldn't believe that something so incredibly UNimpressive (basically, two large pieces of painted plywood) was the sleek, futuristic transporter they had been wanting so badly to see for all the run of the show.

I explained how, if shooting was going on, there would be either one or both side walls up (depending on where the camera was at that moment), and that lights did pretty much EVERYTHING to make it look all Disneyland-ish and futuristic on film. Even with all of my explanations (I took them over to where the side walls were, and SHOWED them the actual side walls that were used when they were needed), it was very difficult, and VERY disappointing, for them to realize that the transporter unit was just some painted plywood that didn't look like anything at all in real, three-dimensional life.

I also showed them, using the actual things, how those "zip" doors (with the sound effects) were ACTUALLY operated by stagehands who were standing behind the walls, and who manually pulled and pushed them into place at the right times (with the sound effects added later in post-production).

It was really funny, because they got to see EVERYTHING on the Star Trek set that they were interested in, they got to work the "zip" doors themselves, they got to do EVERYTHING they wanted to do (they wanted to sit in Kirk's chair, etc.)...and what they FELT was let-down and disappointed.

Leonard Nimoy was an incredibly thoughtful man to me, and he was always very patient and cooperative with the sometimes deadly dull things I, on behalf of our magazines, asked him to do (like making a series of recordings for our contest winners, saying basically: "Hello Linda Roberts in Toledo, Ohio...This is Leonard Nimoy, of Star Trek, in Hollywood, and...").

He was one of the nicest people I ever worked with in the industry (I have been in the industry since I was three)...and, in truth, he was the behind-the-scenes balancing, "adult," center of that particular cast of people (which contained the usual difficult personalities that come with most any cast of any show).

I owe him a great deal.

I hope he knows how much I appreciated his always patient kindness to me, his thoughtfulness, and how important he was to my being able to actually do what was often a very difficult job (would have been for anyone), with often very difficult people.

Leonard Nimoy was a mensch...and I wish him Bon Voyage...and the very best of destinations.

Among all the people in the industry, he was one of the good ones."

·
Super Moderator
26,389 Posts
This is cool (Encinitas is part of San Diego)

For one week, expect to see many V-shaped salutes and hear murmurs of “Live Long and Prosper” in Encinitas as residents rechristen the Civic Center area the “Spock Block” in honor of the late Leonard Nimoy.

The Encinitas City Council unanimously gave the green light Wednesday to the celebration of Nimoy and his most famous character: the pointy-eared Spock from Star Trek.

So from March 26 (Nimoy’s birthday) to April 1, the area between Vulcan Avenue and Cornish Drive and between D and E streets will temporarily be called Spock Block.

Organizers hope Trekkies and casual fans alike will come to the area that week to celebrate the life of Nimoy, who died on Feb. 27 at the age of 83.

Vulcan Avenue, one of the oldest streets in the beachside community, shares a name with Spock, who is half human, half Vulcan in Star Trek mythology.

“Creativity and having fun would be the main objective, something that would have appealed to the human side of Mr. Spock,” reads the council item.

Mayor Gaspar will make the Spock Block proclamation at a public ceremony on March 26.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Oh WOW! This would be a blast to go to! I can imagine all the costumes, that Trekkies will be wearing!:p:D
What a Great way to Honor Leonard Nimoy!

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Yes! I'll bet Spock visits San Diego/Southern California a lot. Starfleet and the Vulcan embassy is only a beam-up away, in San Francisco...

I think Leonard would get a kick out of it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.