Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to buy my books for my two classes.
For my drafting class $104 plus a $45 drafting Kit
For my Math class $120 for a tiny paperback book.

I went online and ordered the drafting supplies for $30 and they have the book at Amazon for $68.

the math book is available used for $30 bucks!

I won't get my next paycheck for the next three weeks and I'll need gas money to go from work to school every night. :roll: If I paid they're prices I wouldn't have money for gas and wouldn't be able to go to school or work.

I just think the prices they try an force students to pay is ridiculous.

the only downside is that the school book comes with a 180 dayCAD program for your computer. But it's not required to have that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
oooh my gosh I know exactly what you mean!
Last semester I took business marketing and I spent over $800 on books (which sucks because I hated that course), so my school was having a 'buy book back' thing and they wanted $8.75 a text book 8O I was like ooo my GOD NO WAY! ... thats crazy thats not even 10 bucks! ... its compleatly not fair because they turn around and sell it AGAIN for 80% of the orignal price- which for alot of them is about $100. I thought at least I'd be able to get $300 for all my marketing books- this way pay off this semesters supplies but Yah not even CLOSE... I think im going to resell on my own... i mean their in perfect condition, I just want at least 300-350.. gesh is that so much to ask :roll:
(yah college is driving me crazy :p LOL )

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My art history book was 93.50 at the bookstore... it was 70 dollars on the inside cover! And it is like... 60 dollars used online.

Needless to say... I'm taking it back tomorrow!

I feel for you!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm right there with ya'll....just went and got my books for this semester yesterday...needless to say now I'm broke!! I keep telling my hubby we should go into the textbook business....they make a killing!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
thankfully i didn't have to buy any new books for this semester! I spent nearly $1000 total on my books this year though. I agree it is a COMPLETE rip off. I wanted to sell some of my books back (I dropped a class in the beginning of the year) It was about $180 worth of books, and guess what? THE PROF ISN'T USING THEM NEXT YEAR!!! So they're worth about $20 total at the bookstore, and I can't sell them privatley! The same thing is going to happen with my Psychology of Learning, which was a $100 text :( And when I sold last years books this year, (privatley) I only made about $150. It's a joke.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
It's a monopoly b/c you need these books and you have to buy them. Books are sooo expensive, it's a ripoff and it's sad b/c alot of college students don't have much money either

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My best advise to ANY college student is to shop around for the best book prices. Get your book lists for each class (available from your prof. or the bookstore's website) at least 2 weeks before the new semester starts and compare prices between half.com (a daughter of ebay), amazon.com, and the school bookstore. Most of the time, I find 1/2 the better deal at half.com and 1/2 at amazon.com. And buying from the bookstore sometimes works out best considering shipping. Don't be a slave to the bookstore. Be a good shopper and compare prices. :D I usually pay HALF of what I would have paid had I bought all my books from the bookstore. There are a lot of other sites that help you find inexpensive textbooks and other course books. Also check out ecampus.com. It takes some work to find the best prices, but it's worth it on your wallet in the end!! :wink:

·
Registered
917 Posts
i bought mine off amazon one semester several weeks before class started, and it took way to long to get them. plus, now the stop telling you what books you need until a week before class starts so you don't have time to get them shipped. bastards. *shakes fist*

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
faile said:
i bought mine off amazon one semester several weeks before class started, and it took way to long to get them. plus, now the stop telling you what books you need until a week before class starts so you don't have time to get them shipped. bastards. *shakes fist*
We don't even have that luxury at Community College. You basicly have to wait til your fist class meeting for the Prof. To tell you what book to buy. :roll:

I have my first math class tonight. I"m just going to have to fall behind at first because I simply can't afford the book from the bookstore. :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
EqusArch: I'm sorry you have to deal with this situation. It happens more often than people are aware. Book prices are just way out of hand.

You said that at community college, you have to wait until the first day of class to get the book list. But, I'm sure you register for classes far enough in advance so you can email your profs and ask for a reading list. I've not been at a c.c., but that's how I usually do it if I can't get the booklist on the bookstore's website. There has to be a way...even if you have to explain to your profs about your financial situation, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to send you a list at least two weeks before your first class meeting. They have to order the books even farther in advance, so they should know by then!

I hope that things work out better for you next time. Keep the sites I mentioned before in mind. They certainly do help! Good luck with classes this semester.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Don't get me started about college and it's intention to teach individuals. Seems to me from my experience it's more about money than anything else. Making people take classes that are completely unnecessary, charging outrageous prices for books and supplies, and so on. It's a racket and I don't care for how us students are treated at all.

I had a psychology teacher who insisted we do a paper on a psychology-related subject, and she had 5 different books in a list were to choose from. I'm like, why do we have this regular psych book then. Anyhow, I told her I had plenty of books at home and would to prefer using those and other means of material since I wasn't rolling in the dough. Many of us were frustrated by the whole affair. She said no you must buy one so I can see it. They were awful books, and I couldn't figure why they were so important. They lacked sufficient data IMO.

Here's my personal collection. I like these much better :wink:

Yes, I have more in the closet, LOL

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
OOOOHHHHHHHH, don't even get me started on this one. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: It makes me SO MAD!!!! It is really hard for me, because being on disability, my class tuition is covered, but not my books. The thing is, it would be MUCH cheaper for me to pay my tuition, and have them cover the darned books! :twisted: :twisted: It is always a hardship each semester....this last semester, I got a few of my books of half.com (I got a tip from someone here!) and it helped, but still......GEEZ!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha! I just bougth my math book at Half.com for $15 compared to $120. I'm very happy about that. I did opt to keep my $105 Drafting book though.
Hey I saved about $100 bucks so I'm happy.

I might have to go the first few weeks without my book, but it's a basic math class and uh I think I might be a bit to advanced for it. I mean they're starting super basic, as in addition and subtraction. :roll:

I was like, are they serious?

Oh well it should be super easy.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
EqusArch said:
Ha! I just bougth my math book at Half.com for $15 compared to $120. I'm very happy about that.
I'm so glad that site worked out for you! It's a great resource. Keep it in mind for next time. As an English Lit student of 6 years, now, I have boxes and boxes filled with novels, collections and other literature. (Hopefully when we move soon, I'll have enought space to FINALLY get a bookshelf!) So, I know a bit about shopping around for books. I'm happy you found a great deal on your textbook! Way to stick it to the system! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts