Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So, its an unexpectedly cold day. We get out from school early, due to ice on the roads. I come home. I go outside to check on my dog.

She's laying outside her doghouse. Stiff. Frozen. Dead.

I'm still reeling in shock. I mean, she was fine this morning. We thought about taking her inside, but the weather wasn't supposed to be freezing. I think she must have already been sick. Why else would she lie OUTSIDE THE HOUSE??? I don't get it. She was fine the other day and running around. Enjoying the cold weather, since its usually sweltering.

Sorry if that was kind of graphic. Ugh.

RIP Thumper. Best dog ever.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I also live in Texas. The northern half of the state is under a Winter Storm warning. Our high was before 4 AM and the temperatures have dropped all day. Even with outside shelter, this is not good weather for pets to be outside.

I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your condolences. Though I live in the southern half of the state by the coast. We did take her in at night and during the days when it was extremely cold. We were thinking of taking her in, but the temp wasn't supposed to drop until later when we were home and could take her in. Also this was a period of roughly 6 hrs tops with shelter from the wet and rain with blankets. Sorry for the rant but I'm just still very upset.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
It's possible it wasn't the cold at all if she had a thick coat, but maybe something like a sudden heart attack. If it was the cold I think you would have found her in the dog house curled in a sleeping position. Sorry for your loss, RIP!

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
:-( So sorry for your loss. I also think it was probably something sudden and not cold weather that caused it. The stiffness was probably rigamortis and not so much freezing from the cold. Again, so sorry. Hang in there.:patback

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with the other posters...it was likely something other than the cold or you presumably would have found him inside the doghouse trying to take shelter. RIP Thumper.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
My heart goes out to you. Im so sorry.

Most likely it was a heart defect by the way he suddenly died. Ive seen it twice this year and its so heart breaking since it happens suddenly with no advance notice.

Cyber hugs from all of us. ((((())))))

1 - 16 of 16 Posts