Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, it is GROSS!!! Every once in a while a roach will find its way on my back porch. Of course with 4 cats in the house it has no chance. Trouble is, they like to play games with the roaches. First they bring it IN the house. Apparently roaches aren't as fun to play with on the back porch. Then they will all take turns catching and then releasing the roach. It takes them a very long time to actually kill it. This game of chase leaves roach legs and wings scattered throughout the house. It finally ends with a confirmed kill and the prize is left for us to find. This game occurs at night as we sleep so we wake up to nice little presents. Nights like this when I can't sleep and stay up on the computer I get to watch. It completely grosses me out but I don't have the heart to take the roach away. It's the only hunting they get to do and it's a great bonding time for them. They really do take turns trading off who gets to chase the roach while the others sit and watch the show. This isn't in anyway harmful is it? Any chance of worms or other parasites?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GROSSSSS.... 8O Now Bengo is eating it. I can hear it crunching....yuck!!! He won't let me have it. I can't get it away from him. Such a yucky sound! All done...nothing left. He's washing it down with some dry food and a drink of water...how nice :roll:

*edit* Just swept up 2 legs and part of a wing. I really don't like this little game of theirs when I'm AWAKE and have to watch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Every so often roaches come out of the drain in my extra bathroom, which is where I keep the cat box. My cats get so excited that they will spend days after an appearence staring longingly down the shower drain. I try to flush the bugs before they eat them, but I'm not always there when they pop out.

I would imagine the risk of parasite transmission is lower than with fleas or mosquitos because roaches don't have the same diet. Just conjecture though. :?

·
Registered
562 Posts
My little guy loves moths! Sometimes I hold the door open and let in a few for his amusement - poor moths!

I can hear him chomping away on them too - sometimes he'll leave a wing for me on the floor. But more often, he comes into my lap so excited, with the remains of a wing hanging out of his mouth -- GROSS!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being that we live in a rural area in Greenbank, we get mice that come around. Toulouse will play with it till he is bored, then eat it, but Shirona wont eat it, so if she plays with it, she lets it go in the end, and if Toulouse dosn't eat it, it is found a few mounths later under the fridge or some other hiding spot it crawled to then died.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My dogs used to play with roaches - stabbing them with their little bottle noses - rolling on them - pouncing (yes they pounced!) and then they... ate them... yummy crunchies. We called it "getting their vitamine R" =P

My cat likes to play with birds, mice and wild rabbits. I can still remember the time Tigger and Robin brought their bunnies home with them - each with a live bunny in their mouths.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts