Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...ol Mr. Groundhog! He's been living under our porch since spring! Robin was romping in the yard when he saw him by the house. For a moment they stared at each other, then the groundhog zipped for the porch, and Robin pursued him for a few seconds. I'm glad Robin had fun, and I'm glad for the groundhog, but I'm afraid the next romp might turn into a hunt. That groundhog might be carrying something, and if he clawed or bit Robin...

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
How big is the groundhog?? If larger than a large rat, I doubt Robin would hunt him but I guess it's possible. He may have just wanted a friend to play with. As to the concern about rabies or other diseases, is there a history of rabies infected groundhogs in your area?? Do they even get rabies??

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
My first concern with a ground hog or Rock chuck as they're called here, is their teeth! They have strong ones, and could give a nasty bite!
Usually their first line of defense, is to run away and hide, but if cornered, they can put up a nasty fight!

So Kurt, I'm so Happy Sir Robin, and the ground hog, were able to part ways, without a fight!!:)
S.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
How big is the groundhog?? If larger than a large rat, I doubt Robin would hunt him but I guess it's possible. He may have just wanted a friend to play with. As to the concern about rabies or other diseases, is there a history of rabies infected groundhogs in your area?? Do they even get rabies??
I had a brother and sister pair years ago who stalked and chased jackrabbits bigger than they were. Mind you, I noticed that they never got closer than one foot away. I suspect they didn't really want to catch something that big, just have the fun of chasing it.
If it smells like herbivore, I think a cat will view it as prey unless it's really huge.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The groundhog's not huge, but he's got some size to him, mostly in the tummy. :lol He (?) and his mate have been living under our porch since late march. I haven't seen his mate in some time, I'm wondering if something happened to her.

I think I'll call him Pops...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts