Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rochelle has finished her last dose of antibiotics just last night, and this morning I took her back to the vet for a re-check to see if she needs any more. I couldn't get a urine sample from her at home so I left her with the vet so they could get one from her there (which I remember from my last UTI thread would be better since there's less chance of crystals forming and they can test her right away then...thanks again Laurie!). They took her temp and weight and she's perfect all across the board.

She's been eating and drinking like a champ since her medication started, and the drinking fountain I bought has been a huge hit...I've never seen her drink so much! Also, her personality has done a real 180, since we started the antibiotics two weeks ago. Before, she was super skittish and hid almost constantly. Almost as soon as we started her on the meds and set up the fountain (the fountain was delivered the next day), she was perky, talkative, and so much more sociable with not only us, but the other cats as well. She rarely hides, and will actually approach my boyfriend and I for cuddles and pets, whereas before we practically had to hunt her down to see where she was. It's as if she knew we were taking care of her illness, and wanted to show her appreciation! She's been so wonderful the past few weeks, and she even sleeps right up against me now on the opposite side of Samantha (yes I am very warm at night :p). I feel like I finally have my girl back. :)

I can't wait till the vet calls though (hopefully with good news!). With her gone the apartment feels just a little bit emptier.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm happy to hear Rochelle is doing so well and starting to come out of her shell. Here's hoping for good news from the vet!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Susan...I've got my fingers crossed for her! I feel really bad for Alice right now though...she's Rochelle's little shadow, and without her here, she's searching for her in all her usual spots and calling for her. I hope the vet calls soon.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
As an aside, if Rochelle has a blanket (or similar) that she regularly sleeps on, you might rub her down with it when she comes back from the vet to put "her smell" back on her, before you let her back with Samantha and Alice. Just a precaution...but I wished I'd done that when Muffs spent a few hours at the vet a while back. I didn't think about it, and Abby was hissing at Muffin for days thereafter. I had to separate the girls when I wasn't at home. I think the "vet smells" on Muffs were upsetting Abby. I'd never had any trouble with either of them previously, when they came back from the vet in cases they were just in for routine shots, but this time Muffs was at the vet for a few hours, as Rochelle will be this time around. Might not be necessary, but can't hurt either. Anyway, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up about the scent, Susan...good to know. They've never been left at the vet before, so I'm sure she's going to smell all sorts of weird. Rochelle does have a blankie of her own that she loves to cuddle up in at home, and when I take her to the vet, I line her crate with it so she's not so freaked out. I'll make sure to rub her down with it nice and good in the bathroom once we get home and out of the crate.

Alice finally settled down, and she's laying in Rochelle's favorite chair...she looks so sad. :(

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news! The UTI is all cleared up! The vet said I should keep her on the special diet for now, but that she needs no new medications. Yay!

The vet assistant said she spent some time cuddling Rochelle since she was so scared, and that they kept her as far away from any barking dogs and noise as they could. :( I felt bad to hear that.

Rochelle is very happy to be home. Her and Alice have been cleaning each other for a while. :smile:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Good news! Shame she was scared at the vets, but I'm sure she's happy now that she's home safe and sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts