Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure, but I think that Romeo might still have worms. The vet gave him a pill for the tapes and he is still on the roundworm medicine...but his potties are hidious! I have the littermaid for a litterbox and it typically keeps the smells completely at bay, but his messes are unhidable!!! Its really bad. Plus, he is really bony on his hind hip area on his back...and eats a ton but hasnt gained weight. And, he has a lot of really bad gas along with a turmultuous stomach...you can put your ear to his stomach and hear churning and feel churning constantly...I was wondering if it could be the worms?! Argh, I just want him to be a healthy kitty. The vet said to bring a feces sample back in about ten days after the pill I gave him so they could check for worms again...and I guess I am going to have to do that. The other thing is that he has a good pot belly going on...that doesnt seem like fat but more like a baby's belly. That could be just because he is only 6 months old but I wasnt sure. Has anyone had a similar experience? Could there be anything else causing his stomach issues? His food is purina dry food and I just give my cats water and pounce treats maybe once a week or so. I just havent gone through this with my other cat when I got him as a stray kitten. HELP!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Stix and Kota had the same issues before they got the meds, smelly poo and pot-bellies...It went away after about 2 weeks from the vet visit. I would definitely follow up to make sure he was not re-infested or if there is a bigger problem. I hope he is okay, he is a very handsome boy (if that's him in your avatar).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Good advice, Jonsgirl!

I would add that Purina dry food is of inferior quality. I would suggest getting him on a better diet (many discussions on this forum, try a search) and include a good portion of canned food daily. Mix some acidophilus in with the canned food to help re-balance his GI tract and get some healthy bugs in there instead of those yucky worms. You can get acidophilus capsules (with digestive enzymes if you can find it that way) at the health food store; mix 1/2 capsule in with each canned meal (twice a day). That should help him digest better and settle things down.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That is all good advice. I'll keep everyone updated on Mr. stinkbox!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts