Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you only saw the most recent roll of film I took of Rookie, you'd think all she does is lay around on the floor on her back. She really does walk. :lol: I call this her "Come get me, I'm yours" pose, where she's really egging us on to either pet her or brush her. I fall for it every time.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Love the tail! :D

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
I wonder if it's a Coonie thing (I'm assuming Rookie is Maine Coon, even if you don't know--she's definitely got the look)....Holly is always laying in the middle of the floor on her back. It's so cute and goofy. The tail is adorable.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've always wondered about the Maine Coon thing! We adopted her at 1.5 years old with almost no information from the SPCA. She has every single characteristic, both in looks and temperament, that I've read about, with the exception of not having the tuft of fur off the top of her ears. Didn't you say that's the one true sign?

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
The lynx tips are a characteristic, maybe she's mixed, but there's gotta be a fair amount of MC in there somewhere....

·
Registered
330 Posts
She does look like she is a maine coon mix. Very pretty girl. Does she have a lot of hair tufts on the bottom of her paws? She looks like she has a lot of hair coming out of her ears which is another characteristic of coons. Not all purebred maine coons have lynx tips but it is common and very desirable. Despite his father and mother both having them, Hunter's are so small that they are hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rookie does have shoots of fur coming out of her paws that are about 1.5" long. That's another Maine Coon trait, from what I read, along with having all of her longest fur on her stomach and at the back of her legs. It's amazing how well the Maine Coon web sites describe her personality, too. Like they say, she follows us from room to room to "help" with things, waits patiently outside closed doors, and will be "your friend, your buddy, and your pal, but not your baby."

Isn't it frustrating when you don't know anything about your cat's background? All we know is the previous owner "couldn't take care of her anymore," which I think is code for -- this cat is peeing on my couch. :) We don't know where the original owner got her, who her parents were, whether she ever had kittens, or anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts