Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I haven't posted about this. So Sully broke his upper canine tooth, somehow. No idea. But the pulp was exposed and there was swelling above the tooth. I'm lucky to work for a veterinary dentist! X-rays showed the tooth was still viable. We discussed pulling the tooth but decided against it for several reasons.

1) He is missing his front leg, and uses his mouth more than a 4 legged cat does.

2) He lives with Ninja, he needs all the help he can get

3) 9 times out of 10, when you pull an upper canine tooth on a cat, you end up pulling the lower one as well, because that upper tooth holds the upper lip out of the way of the lower tooth. When its gone, the lip gets caught and develops sores.

So we did the root canal. Recovery was amazingly fast and comfortable, and he can still hold his own against the Ninja. Client cost for a root canal is about $2K, I paid half that. I love my cat. And I'm also slightly nuts.

Pics during.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Poor Sully, I hope he feels better fast... and.... hi to Dr. McHotty Hot Vet.

Oh yeah, MowMow - Kobster, how on earth do you not get distracted working for such a handsome vet?

Kobster - you are so lucky to work for a veterinary dentist - I just dropped $2,000 at our local veterinary dentist for 6 extractions, cleaning, xrays. I was on the fence about getting a root canal on her lower canine because the regular vet had pulled the upper canine in September - that dilemna was solved for me when the xrays showed that lower canine, along with her other lower canine and 4 others all had various stages of resorption - so out they came!

·
Registered
164 Posts
What happens after the root canal? With humans, we get a crown put on the tooth. I don't have a lot of experience with root canals -- maybe a crown isn't always necessary for humans? With cats, what happens after? Does the tooth need any support?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What happens after the root canal? With humans, we get a crown put on the tooth. I don't have a lot of experience with root canals -- maybe a crown isn't always necessary for humans? With cats, what happens after? Does the tooth need any support?
Sometimes a crown is needed. This was a canine tooth. It was shortened then sealed. I suppose I could have had a crown placed, but didn't see the point.

We did place metal crowns on this police dog's canine teeth. Difference is, he using those teeth in a much bigger way than my house cat uses his.

Let me see if Sully will let me take a picture of his tooth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts