Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning and there were yellow roses on my desk :D That made me really happy. And they smell good :D Whats your favorite color of roses? All I know is that theres red and yellow ones. I think theres pink though too. I like the red ones a lot, but I think yellow roses are my favorite :)

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I like those peach "Peace" roses with a pink edge.

However, for non-grocery-store varieties....I prefer tea roses that produce rose hips. Rose hips are very tasty. I always like heritage varieties of roses better.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
On one of my birthdays my husband sent a bouquet of a half-dozen roses to my workplace. Each rose was a different color - red, pink, white, yellow, peach and lavendar. It was the most beautiful arrangement of flowers I had seen! :heart I personally favor the peach and lavendar just 'cuz they're not your everyday rose. I don't think either of them are natural either. They are either dyed that color or a result of genetic tweaking to get that color.

It's fun getting flowers unexpectedly, isn't it? :p

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I love peach ones, though...

I just think it is interesting that everytime something unexpected happens, people attribute it to genetic engineering. Genetic engineering actually affects crops a lot less than people think because of USDA regulations. There are currently no GM fruits and vegetables on the market right now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
my fav is the rare/nonexistant blue rose. so far they have been able to genetically make a blue rose but the leaves and stem also turned blue. And all of this can be blamed on the smurfs! theres an episode where smurfette wants a blue rose and she gives up her blue skin color to have mother nature make hera blue rose (trying to stay on topic-there's more to the story). the only rose that comes close are the lavender ones, and i had them for my wedding!! my hubby knows that if he gets me roses they have to be purple/lavender. reds, pinkks, yellows, peaches, oranges and others are all very beautiful but i just like the weird purple ones!

~bekki and daizy~

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
shengmei said:
I just think it is interesting that everytime something unexpected happens, people attribute it to genetic engineering. Genetic engineering actually affects crops a lot less than people think because of USDA regulations. There are currently no GM fruits and vegetables on the market right now.
:? GM soybeans and corn have been around for a long time. http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/24/gm_foods.htm

Aside from corn and soy, other GM foods grown in the United States include cotton, canola, squash and papaya

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I love white roses, and also the "peace" ones Shengmei talked about. My grandpa bought me a peace rose bush when I was little, it grew in our garden for several years, but died when he tried to move it.

But overall, I'm not really a fan of roses. I like creativity! I would love to recieve a potted gerber daisy in some bright outrageous colour over a bouquet of roses anyday!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
lunarbishop said:
my fav is the rare/nonexistant blue rose. so far they have been able to genetically make a blue rose but the leaves and stem also turned blue. And all of this can be blamed on the smurfs! theres an episode where smurfette wants a blue rose and she gives up her blue skin color to have mother nature make hera blue rose (trying to stay on topic-there's more to the story). the only rose that comes close are the lavender ones, and i had them for my wedding!! my hubby knows that if he gets me roses they have to be purple/lavender. reds, pinkks, yellows, peaches, oranges and others are all very beautiful but i just like the weird purple ones!

~bekki and daizy~
I've seen blue roses... but I think they were white roses that had been dyed, as the tips were darker and they were kinda veiney. I've heard if you put a white rose in water with food colouring, it begins to pick up that colouring!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yes -- just like carnations.

I like the white ones, but I agree that I don't necessarily swoon all over roses. I'd rather have something a little more permanent.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
jennifer2 said:
shengmei said:
:? GM soybeans and corn have been around for a long time. http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/24/gm_foods.htm

Aside from corn and soy, other GM foods grown in the United States include cotton, canola, squash and papaya
I don't think soy and corn are considered fruits and vegetables.

:D

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Corn is most definitely a vegetable, but soyBEANS are a legume, I think. I don't know what canola is, and cotton isn't, but papayas (fruit) and squash fall into that category too.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
ForJazz said:
Corn is most definitely a vegetable, but soyBEANS are a legume, I think. I don't know what canola is, and cotton isn't, but papayas (fruit) and squash fall into that category too.
Canola is a grain crop that is grown to make canola oil, a popular lower-in-saturated fat cooking oil. That's a huge crop here in North Dakota.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
vanillasugar said:
I've seen blue roses... but I think they were white roses that had been dyed, as the tips were darker and they were kinda veiney. I've heard if you put a white rose in water with food colouring, it begins to pick up that colouring!
I used to do this with daisies when I was a child. :D

But as for roses, I'd have to say that yellow is my favorite, or one of the bi-color varieties.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ooooh! I *love* roses...but not cut ones...the bushes 8) . My mom grows roses in our garden. I have two, one is a Lavender and the other I got just yesterday...a pink "pygmy" rose. No idea what they're called really though.

I much prefer trees though. I have a Jade tree that I named Shrek. (It has leaves that look lke Shrek's ears. My lavender rose is *therefore* called Fiona. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts