Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you rotate your cat's food do you give them a different brand/flavor every meal or do you give them the same kind for a while and then switch to another? How many different foods are in your rotation? I plan on feeding canned. The best deals I've found are online by the case. But most of those brands are not available in my area for me to buy a can or two to try. I figured maybe I would buy a few cans of what is available, taste of the wild, wellness, natural balance... and see if the cat is picky before I order a case of anything. Felidae is a good deal on amazon, so is taste of the wild, the big cans. Nobody here carries the big cans.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I rotate 3 Merrick Flavors, Grammy's Pot Pie, Thanksgiving Dinner and Turducken along with Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Formula.
I've tried a bunch of different premium wet food flavors from all the major brands and these are the one's she will reliably eat almost all the time.
I also give her a small amount of Merrick's BG Chicken dry, I buy this in the small 1.1 lb bag as she will not eat stale dry food.
When I was researching cat foods, I'd buy 6 different flavors and not which ones she liked.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My rotation is completely random. I get whatever good quality grain-free cans are on sale or i have a coupon for. At first my cat only liked the chunky/shredded style foods, but i started mixing the ones he liked with the ones he didnt like, and now he eats anything! Right now he gets Blue Wilderness, wellness, EVO, Merrick B.G., Avoderm, Soulistic, and one or two raw meals a day. It is a good idea to try a can or two before buying a whole case, allthough it depends on how picky your cat is. I would buy a whole case of brand new food because, like i said, my cat will eat ANYTHING. Lol. I do credit that to rotating his food. When i got him he was addicted to kibble and wouldnt even touch canned. But in my opinion, the more variety the better

·
Registered
716 Posts
I forgot to add that I feed all different flavors except for fish. So he gets chicken, turkey, beef, duck, and quail.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, that is what I was thinking. If I try several different kinds and he seems like he will eat anything then I would not have a problem buying a whole case of something new.

·
Super Moderator
26,669 Posts
I know by the height which can gets opened next, a different variety for each meal so they never get the same flavor two meals in a row.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Here is what I rotate (from a previous thread).

I feed:

Month 1: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Merrick's Before Grain Beef flavor
Month 2: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Evo Venison
Month 3: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Merrick's Cowboy Cookout
Month 4: By Nature's Beef/Beef liver & Weruva Steak Frites

Then I start over with month 1.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I pick up a box that fits 5.5 oz cans and walk down the aisle picking some of this and some of that. Usually 2 of each, sometimes 4. I can end up with as many as 12 different foods.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feed a couple of brands consistently and buy a few cans of other things at random times. I always mix 2 or 3 different foods together as the better quality foods I buy are pate and she really likes some texture, so that way she can eat both and be happy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marie 73, your pantry looks so organized. I just realized I might have to buy a little cabinet for cat food because ours barely hold our food. I could probably move the stuff that's in the bottom of the microwave cabinet somewhere else, or put the cat food in the basement.

I was just wondering if I should buy a few cases at a time so the kitty doesn't get used to one kind and refuse to eat the next... or get tired of one before the case runs out.

·
Super Moderator
26,669 Posts
My girls have their favorites and their not-so-much foods. They don't love the Cowboy Cookout, but they'll eat it. I didn't buy the Wellness in my last shipment, it's their least favorite.

My pantry is small, too. There are just three levels like this one, and a space at the bottom where I keep my 2-litre diet soda bottles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feed totally random meals. Lately Hanx has been getting Natures Variety Instinct (venison, chicken, rabbit or duck) for breakfast and Natures Balance Platefulls (any) for dinner. But usually there is Merrick, Instinct Raw, B.G. Or some random others that he likes thrown in.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
My cat food arrived from Wag and Amazon yesterday so I stocked my food shelf for the month(there is an identical back row behind). I store it on a bakers rack that sits over the litterbox in a quiet corner of the living room. It has a room divider around it for privacy/aesthetics.

·
Super Moderator
26,669 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. The stores here don't have those brands, they do have Merrick dog food but not cat food. I will probably be ordering most of my cat food online. I have been browsing amazon and other sites and I' m tempted to order some now but I don't even have a cat yet. I think I will wait though, and start it out on whatever it is used to and then I can order some stuff and gradually switch over and introduce new foods.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may be getting a kitten from a lady I work with when they're ready. I don't know how long she is willing to keep, probably about 8 wks, that will be a couple more weeks. If I bought 6 oz cans and took out a little at a time and refrigerated the rest would the kitten eat it before it goes bad? Or should I stsrt with smaller cans? Is any cat food that has intructions for cat and kitten feeding on theback, appropriate for kittens or do I need to get kitten food? It's harder to find canned kitten food but I know there are some.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I change per meal. They split a 5.5oz can between them for breakfast so that makes it easy. It'll typically go something like: Merrick Cowboy Cookout, Before Grain Chicken, BG Quail, BG Turkey, Evo Turkey and Chicken, and repeat.

I may be getting a kitten from a lady I work with when they're ready. I don't know how long she is willing to keep, probably about 8 wks, that will be a couple more weeks. If I bought 6 oz cans and took out a little at a time and refrigerated the rest would the kitten eat it before it goes bad? Or should I stsrt with smaller cans? Is any cat food that has intructions for cat and kitten feeding on theback, appropriate for kittens or do I need to get kitten food? It's harder to find canned kitten food but I know there are some.
Kittens actually tend to need even more food than adult cats since they're still growing. Some brands have specific kitten foods but any good-quality food that says "For all life stages" or "For growth and maintenance" is safe to feed to kittens as well. These foods should have instructions on the can for how much to feed kittens based on their age/weight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts