Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cheetah is grooming our new 4 months old girl Mui Mui. Sometimes Mui Mui does not like it and bat or bite Cheetah. Cheetah will paw Mui Mui down, or bite her back (slightly) to calm and hold her down. Then Cheetah will start grooming Mui Mui again aggressively. It looks like Cheetah is forcing Mui Mui to let him groom her. Cheetah grooms her everywhere, face, chin, body, belly.

Is it normal? Is there anything I should worry about?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I remember my daughter and I doubled over in laughter one time when Muffin did the same thing to Abby. Abby didn't want to be groomed, but Muffs insisted on giving her a "bath". The more Abby wriggled, the more Muffs pinned her down. Abby was going to have a bath whether she wanted one or not! It was hilarious.

They'll work these sorts of things out by themselves. If you ever see signs that one is truly hurting the other, I'd put a stop to it -- just clap your hands or shake something to make a loud noise (I use a coin can) and two cats will likely scatter. But, if neither is really hurting the other, I'd let them be.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not know when is too rough. At a point, they are biting each other on the face. Cheetah made a noise sounds like he said "ouch" in his kitty language, so I break them apart.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Apollo does this to Athena all the time. She too makes angry noises about it, because I think she gets impatient with his attentiveness and just wants to be left alone.

Hissing, or biting that breaks the skin, or if the kitten is really trying to get away and Cheetah isn't leaving her alone, then you may want to get them to stop, but unless they're actually harming each other, I wouldn't worry. When my cats do this, it's always like Apollo is saying, "You stink! You need a bath!" and Athena is being a bratty kitten and going, "But I don't wanna!"

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My cats do that all the time. It starts out so lovely...aww...the are grooming each other how cute and the more it goes on, the more vigorous it gets until one gets annoyed and then they start tussling and chasing each other all over the house. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you can see obvious signs of distress as others have described.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts