Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 5-cat household for several months now, and things have settled into a predictable sort of chaos (the two youngsters are demons incarnate).

I've noticed, however, that since adding the two juveniles, that the 2 older males have become more and more affectionate towards me. To the point that we have our nightly routines, and the two older guys get upset if I don't spend my "quality time" with them.

1. Chubbs.

Late in the evening, Chubbs, a 6-year-old neutered male, roughly 21 pounds (large frame, not obese) will jump on the back of my chair and start headbutting me in the back of the head until I tilt my neck and allow him to climb around to the front and sit on my chest.

He then proceeds to furiously make make biscuits, purring loudly, and licking my nose. He will then "plop down" right up against my neck and want to be petted. He alternately nuzzles, licks and bites my nose, and wants me to groom him.

I nuzzle him and occasionally will "bite" and yank his fur. He just purrs louder. If I stop for a minute, he'll start gnawing playfully on my clothes. He just wants to play and be loved.

He's a big baby. I can mangle and roughhouse with him and he just purrs and purrs and licks my nose.

After a while I have to put him down, because he never tires of it... and he's darned heavy!

2. Tweetie.

Tweetie is my sweetheart. He's a buff-colored 6-year-old neutered male. He was a bundle of health problems when I adopted him from the local shelter, a scrawny kitty with coarse patchy hair, a flea infestation, worms, teeth issues, an ear infection, you name it.

We bonded at the shelter, and for a period of several weeks I would visit him daily while he was finishing his medical treatments before I could bring him home. Over the next year he has transformed into a stocky, roly-poly guy with the softest downy coat you can imagine.

Behaviorwise, he's very uncatlike. When my mother came for a visit earlier this year, she remarked that he was more of a puppy than a cat. And so he is.

He's exuberantly affectionate with me, wanting to sit on my chest and lick my face from top to bottom, drooling all the while (he's an emotional drooler).

It's bedtime that is the cutest though.

He's the only one of the five that is allowed in my bedroom at night (I'd never get any sleep otherwise). He knows when its time and follows me to the bedroom, occasionally chirping at me (he's not a vocal cat).

He sleeps with me every night. And I mean with me, not just on the bed. He waits for me to lie down on, and then goes to settle in. I sleep on my side, so he comes up and settles down right up against my body, with his paws and/or head draped across one of my upper arms... and drool on me.

He will proceed to lick my arm continuously, all the while his eyes closed tightly shut, purring loudly and making uncatlike cooing/crooning/trilling noises. It's hard to describe.

After a while he will transition to rolling upside down, and move one paw under my arm and one on top of it, pulling my arm tightly into the top of his head as he's curled up. He then will flex his paws open and closed for a long period of time, again purring nonstop.

He'll stay right up next to me all night long. If I turn onto my other side in the middle of the night, he will get up, trot to the foot of the bed and walk up the other side (for some reason he won't walk across me to get to the other side), and the repeat the settling in process, although he has a tendency to want to walk up to about 6 inches away from me and "fall into me" heavily, so he's wedged tightly against me and then wrap his paws around my arm.

If I wake up in the middle of the night and start to pet him, he'll immediately start purring and cooing/trilling at me. It's an amazing sound.

Every time I hear someone complain that cats are standoffish and unaffectionate, I can't help but thing that either they've not met the right cats, or the cats can sense that they are not "cat people". Not affectionate? Please...

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's sweet. Just goes to show, stereotypes don't work. We are all individuals, even cats.

Your buff colored boys looks like a cat I had named O'Hara when I was a teenager. He was a love too but he died of feline leukemia before much was known about it.

Currently, my youngest little girl, Layla simply MUST sleep in the crook of my neck. I have to move her a dozen times a night, but she comes right back. It's cute, but it disturbs my sleep, especially when she gets her motor running full speed. When my husband's home (he's a truck driver and is gone 6 days a week) she does the same to him. I'm about at the point of banning her from the bedroom as sleep is a precious commodity.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
What a sweet description of your bonds with these two boys! They both sound so incredibly affectionate . . . it's what we all want with our kitties. They're adorable too. I have a big boy too (17 pounds), and I like 'em that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.