Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Royal Canin URINARY SO® MODERATE CALORIE

First and foremost, I did a search on this, I promise! But couldn't really find any answers.

Both the kitties were diagnosed with UTIs; boycat was having difficulty peeing, leaving little spots of red and had more crystals in his urine while girlcat had no real symptoms but a urinalysis revealed sediment. Vet suggested it was likely a genetic predisposition combined with diet.

We have been feeding them the Wellness Indoor cat food but vet has suggested putting them on the dry RC food. I'm not a fan of Hills/RC because of all the meal and byproducts so I'm hoping there are some good dry food alternatives out there that will provide the same health benefits.

Help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This may offer some insight. In my post on the attached thread, I link to my own thread asking for help with similar questions. The other resource I found usefule was: Catinfo

The most important thing I found was that I had to get Matti off of dry food completely to keep him healthy.
Good luck! I'm sure others will weigh in!

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Even if he felt that RC was the way to go (blech) you'd think he'd want him on the canned not the dry....

Not impressed.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think Hills/RC has some special ingredients to prevent the crystal from forming further, however, it does nothing to resolve the existing problem. Also, as you mentioned, Hills/RC has really crappy ingredients that do your cats no good. To help your cats, you need to greatly increase their daily water intake. The best (and possbily only) way is to switch them to only (or at least mainly) canned food. It may not be easy to switch and the canned food is more expensive than dry, but in long term its a lot better for your cats health, and evenutally you save money but cutting the vet bill.

If, for any reason, you don't want to switch to canned food, then at least you should consider buying a pet drinking fountain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts