Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten seems to love this food. Usually, he wont eat any canned foods, preferring dry, but whenever he smells this he will finish it in one go! But I haven't heard alot about this food, it doesn't seem too popular, is this because it's not very good for my kitten, or simply because many cats don't like it?? Also, I can't seem to find any kitten royal gourmet so I feed him adult (he's about 4 months). I also give him a mixture of different dried kitten foods, so does it really matter if I give him adult food once in a while?? Thanks in advance for any help!
*BC*

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Would you mind posting the first 5-10 ingredients on the label? I can't seem to find this food on the internet.

Also, if you want to post the nuritional content (water, protein %'s, etc.) someone here maybe able to tell you if it is suitable to feed to your kitten.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
um, I can't really at the moment as I don't have any left, but the moment I get some more, I'll post the information up.

*BC*

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i finally managed to find some more of this stuff, but this time I had to get it in a tin because none of the satchets were left. I dont know if there is any difference but here is the information for the tin food (which is called gourmet gold instead of royal gourmet.

ingredients: meat and animal derivatives (chicken min. 4%, liver min 4%), cereals, minerals, various sugars. Contains EC permitted colourants.

typical analysis: protein 7.5%, oil 4.7%, ash 1.3%, fibre 0.5%, moisture 81.5%. vitamin A 1110 IU/kg, vitamin D3 140 IU/kg, vitamin E 10 mg/kg. copper (as copper sulphate) 3 mg/kg

this doesnt look very nice to me, but I dont really know anything about cat food, so could anyone please tell me whether this food is any good for my pet?? thankyou!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
OK, I think I can tell you why people don't consider it being a good catfood. It brakes three ground rules:

1. NO byproducts (derivates)
2. NO grains (cereals)
3. NO sugars

It also says oil which means that the fat could be vegetarian oil, but it should be animal fat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh dear, so not a good food then. well, i guess i'll just have to keep kirby on dry food then, but he wont be happy about that. would this food be ok as an occasional treat, or should I steer clear of it completely?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think you should try and find another brand of wet food to give your cat. I wouldn't recommend a diet based on dry food only.

I live in Sweden so I have no idea what kind of goof wet food brands you have in your country, but I'm sure someone else will tell you about that
:wink:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I agree with Sol, a wet food diet is much better for your kitty. Dry food can cause a variety of health problems.

I hope that someone here can recommend a good wet food for you! I also noticed that the protein percentage was fairly low and the moisture content was pretty high. Most of my foods have about 10% protein and 78% moisture.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That protein works out to about 40% when you factor out the moisture.

The ingredient-naming rules are very different in the UK than they are in the US. I was appalled when I was there; you just can't tell at all what's in a food! You may have to rely on the company's reputation; for instance, Royal Canin is available all over Europe.

Definitely do try to find a better canned food to substitute...an all-dry diet is a recipe for health problems later in life.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone, drjean, i read your article and i'm shocked, i never realized how bad it was for my kitten to feed him an all dry food diet! the breeder I got him from told me I should aim to have him on a mixture of royal canin foods only, by the time he's a year old! Well, I'm definatley not doing that anymore!
The problem is though, Kirby doesn't really seemed to like any other canned foods. When we first bring them out he'll sniff them, eat a bit then leave it. We've had a bit of success with Whiskers kitten (is this any good for my kitten?), but most of the time my mum mixes this with some royal gourmet to convince him to eat it. Can anyone recommend any canned foods which are good for him?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts