Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So well, the 4 kittens I was fostering were separated (two of them left with a family, the girl Negra left with another) and I kept Rulos to be part of our family.
I thought I knew a lot about introducing a new cat, but yesterday and today morning has been a disaster.
I set a net so they could see each other and eat "together" (they have already seen each other during the last 2 weeks, some hissing and growling, the usual). They ate and everything seemed fine, but when they were done, Gatito attacked Chiquis pretty badly. It was not a game, they were clearly fighting. So I ran after them and separated Gatito and Chiquis, put Gatito in a room alone, and I closed Rulos' door.

I have feliway, but I have no idea if it's actually doing something to help them or not. Right now I'm very concerned about my two older cats fighting, 'cause I know hissing and growling to the new one is normal. But this is the very first time they fight. What to do....

Some pics:

Rulos alone. He is LOVELY.

All of the boys eating. Right after that, Gatito attacked Chiquis.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ohhhhhhohohoh he is ADORABLE!!! And the picture of Rulos eating, with your other cats watching is hilarious!

I have no wise words for you, except for that my neighbors had a similar situation. They had a stray coming in their house for a couple of weeks, on and off, and their residential cats started fighting each other to such an extend that one of them has now been separated from the other for 2 weeks....The stray is not allowed in anymore.

I am sure it will work out with time. Are they still fighting?

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
trim everybodies claws(if you haven't already) things should calm down... one to one time can help..

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thank you... I have already trimmed their nails. I seemed to me that Gatito was biting Chiquis, but nothing happened anyway (I checked Chiquis and he was fine).

The two big ones are actually eating too in the picture haha, you're right, it seems like they're watching him.

Gatito just observes the new one, and even smells his nose and makes a "prrrrow" sound.
Chiquis, on the other hand, is FURIOUS. He just looks at him and growls, and looks at me like saying -What IS that MOM!!!???-

I'll keep you posted... I hope everything goes well... :)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Rulos is adorable, as are Gatito and Chiquis. The fighting sounds like a case of redirected aggession. They should settle down over time. Try to have lots of good things happen when the cats are together, such as feeding (as you're doing), treats, play, etc. If Gatito and Chiquis start at each other again, distract them if possible (with a laser light, another toy or a loud noise). If they continue, I too would separate them for a while.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Redirected aggression...you're so right, Susan. Thank you for your wise words.

I arrived home at 8 and everything has been going fine so far. They ate again all together (net in between). Some hissing and growling, but that was it. Then Gatito and Chiquis started playing in a friendly manner. I held Rulos (he's so tiny) and walked around with him wrapped around my arms, and Chiquis seemed very confused. But then he just ignored me after a while. Now Rulos is sleeping, and the two boys are playing inside a cardboard box.
Gatito gets really aggressive sometimes, with Chiquis, with visitors who desperately want to pet him 'cause he's so white and "looks soft" (and they end up being bitten by him), and even with me, but it is just the way he is, he was mistreated a lot when he was a stray, and then he suffered so much when we lost Sun our girl cat. So I can't blame him...I wish I could help him to leave all that aggression behind, tho. Yet sometimes he's so nice. He even licked Rulos' face through the net, while Chiquis was hissing like a snake. I just couldn't believe it.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
709 Posts
They're all so lovely. I love Gatito's tail!

It sounds like they're getting along quite well really for initial introductions. That's a really good idea separating them with some mesh whilst eating, I wish I'd thought of that with my two girls.

Best of luck, and give Rulos an extra cuddle!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A LOT of improvement.

Rulos and Chikis have become best friends. Which raises the question...do you think they know they are brothers? Maybe something about genetics that makes them recognize each other as close...who knows. The thing is, Chikis has dedicated himself to take care of Rulos (covering his poop when Rulos does not cover it, cleaning his eyes and keeping him warm when they sleep). Rulos is very happy. Gatito seems more reluctant to share his time with Rulos, but he accepts him anyway. He has to act tough like the alpha cat he is.

Some pictures for you to see.

Chikis and Rulos (notice Chikis' tongue. He's in one of his blanket-sucking sessions)

Gatito's back there, supervising :p

Sleeping with dad

Gatito getting friendlier and being Gatito of course (weird sleeping positions)

My three boys

Rulos and his sidekick, "El León"

On the other hand, Rulos has not recovered from his URI. I took them all to the vet today (almost 10 kilos of kitties ha ha) and she left all 3 with l-lysine supplements, and a lotta antibiotics for Rulos. Poor baby.

We're moving out tomorrow to a bigger apartment. So wish me luck! :wink

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They still play too rough, but I guess it is fine. I'm always supervising them tho, but it seems that Rulos enjoys being bullied by the boys. He runs away, and goes back to chase them...on and on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts