Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two kittens, now almost 7 months old, were feral for their first 12 weeks.

I feed them occasional raw tidbits, like pieces of the giblets when I cook a whole chicken. I cut the pieces down to a managable size, so they have some chew time. I have little experience with feeding raw, as my previous cat wouldn't touch anything raw.

Problem is, they then run off with the pieces. Run, drop, run, drop, so now I have little spots of chicken bacteria on my rugs. Not a good thing. I also worry about one hiding food and forgetting about it, or just leaving a piece in an out of the way place until I find it by smell :(

I know I could run the giblets through a food processor, so there's no pieces to pick up and run with. That won't work with the neck, and at any rate I though the time chewing was one of the good things about a raw diet.

Any suggestions how I can keep my little miscreants from running off with their food?

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Well, the answer would be to feed them in a smaller confined area that can be cleaned more easily. I use a grinder for my raw.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Your story reminds me of Stubby, who was the youngest kitten in a feral colony of 20. When the poor little guy finally got to the food dish he would load up his mouth with kibble and retreat. He'd go to one side to get away from the others, spit it out, and eat. It's how he survived. Stubby is my house cat now, but he has retained the habit.
The only solution I can think of is to feed them on a sheet of plastic, or in a tiled room. I know what you mean about the mess. I feed my bunch (10 cats) outside unless it's raining or snowing or freezing - I just don't like the smell/mess of wet food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts