Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little girl, Cressida, has never had a solid poop since I got her. She's 6 months old now and I'm wondering if the kitten food is maybe too rich for her system? I've done wet food, dry food and a combo and all the same result. She's getting big but not putting on weight but to me it seems as if it's because she's growing so I'm not that concerned yet. I mean it's not like I can see her bones or anything and I'm probably just used to my other two chubby cats, but the poop thing bugs me. I really can't afford the expensive foods that are out there, maybe once in a while but I'm thinking constantly changing her food isn't a good idea. Any ideas?

·
Registered
801 Posts
What foods have you tried? Were they kitten foods?
There are a lot of variables here, she could be sensitive to certain meats or grains, she could have medical issues going on, a parasite, etc, etc. Have you taken her to a vet since you got her?

As long as she is eating okay, I wouldn't be worried about her weight, in fact I would keep in mind how trim she looks now and try to keep her like that all her life, since being chubby only exasperates health issues.

P.s. we are still waiting for pics ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What foods have you tried? Were they kitten foods?
There are a lot of variables here, she could be sensitive to certain meats or grains, she could have medical issues going on, a parasite, etc, etc. Have you taken her to a vet since you got her?

As long as she is eating okay, I wouldn't be worried about her weight, in fact I would keep in mind how trim she looks now and try to keep her like that all her life, since being chubby only exasperates health issues.

P.s. we are still waiting for pics ;)
She's been back and forth to the vet to get fixed and stuff, got her at the animal welfare league, so she's healthy. She's nutty and playful and affectionate and basically perfect. Just wondering if her food could be too rich? I do use the regular store brand of kitten food, she's eating Meow Mix now. The pictures? Well they're coming, I have a few on my album in my profile though!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Okay... um.. *thinking*
Did you change her food after you got her from the shelter? Or were they feeding Meow Mix? If you are feeding what they gave you, then I'd say she wasn't healthy when you got her. If you changed foods, but her poop was like this on the first and second day you scooped, and hasn't changed, then it still stands that she wasn't healthy when you got her. (My cat was housed at a vet's office and he got worse, not better, living there.)
You said she got spayed, were any blood tests run? Did you mention the poop problem so they could do a smear?
Since you are feeding Meow Mix, the problem couldn't be that its too rich since the protein content is very low, and these products in it worry me.. (bold ones I consider worse) Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Soybean Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Turkey By-Product Meal, Animal Digest, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.
Menadione is toxic to the liver and has been banned for human consumption in the UK.. >__<
I understand if you are on a budget, but above all things, try to avoid soy and Menadione because they contribute to disease in cats.

Your kitties are beautiful, but I still don't know which one is Cressida! :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts