Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need help with rust removal -- my front door knob/lock is very old and has stopped turning/latching. I've removed it and put a temporary handle in it's place (can't seem to find a replacement that will fit) and found that it is completely rusted. Can this knob/lock be salvaged? If so, anyone have tips for removing the rust? Also, do I need to oil the lock before reinstalling it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I think CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) remover might work for removing rust. I am not completley sure. I will ask my mom and look that up for you.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what my friend said...I just didn't know if it needed to be re-oiled before use or how sensitive the lock will be to rust removal products.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would sand it if it is very flaky rust and then apply a generous dose of WD-40 (lock and turning mechanism). If it's just rust looking and not flaky, just apply the WD-40.

CLR won't completely get rid of the rust, but might help a little. (ie, you won't have shiny metal again). If you do use CLR, rinse thoroughly and use a generous helping of WD-40 afterwards.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There are several chemicals that will unstick rusted parts. You can find them at a hardware or auto parts store. WD-40 helps a bit, but there was some kind of magic-in-a-can I've used before to undo rusty bolts.

Put some of the stuff in the lock and work it several times, then flush it out with WD-40 to wash away the debris from inside the lock.

Finally, add some sewing machine or other light oil. The oil will protect metal from moisture.

You can always take it to a locksmith if its a valuable part of the house, and he'll open it up and clean it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts