Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Rusty (orange tabby in my sig) lives at my mom's house. As a kid I called him my cat, but nowadays you'd call him my mom's cat since he doesn't live with me anymore. Technical stuff aside, Rusty is going to get a free dental at my school. After debating whether I should send Nito or not, I realized that Rusty boy has WAY worse teeth and definitely needs it way more. But in order to get that done, he'll have to come up to Madison and stay with me for one night this week to get his blood work, and then one more night next week for when his dental is scheduled.

Anyways, when I used to bring Nito to my mom's house him and Rusty did NOT get along. They were mortal enemies. They used to be fine but when Nito hit one year old these fights would break out, and it got to the point where it just wasn't worth it for Nito to visit grandma anymore. And so, I was righteously worried about bringing Rusty here. I had all these plans for separating them in mind.

Both cats are used to stranger kitties coming in and out of their home. By the age of 2, Nito matured to the point where new cats no longer phase him. I've been so proud of the way he handles things. And Rusty usually just brushes it off, he's 9 and he's seen a lot in his day. He's hard to phase.

Rusty was nervous on the car ride so I figured I'd kick everyone out of my room when I got home and just spend some time with him on my bed. Well, with my arms full of cat, Nito slipped in before I could shut the door without me knowing. I set Rusty on the bed and all of a sudden Nito was there investigating. He gave Rusty a sniff, a lick on the cheek, and then turned to me, purring and excited to be greeting me. My jaw almost hit the floor. I couldn't believe it! Neither Rusty or Nito seemed phased by the presence of the other. I quickly got out the feline greenies and treated everyone.

Now I'm in my room with Rusty, Nibbler, Nito, and Chica and EVERYONE is getting along just fine. They are currently eating their soft food suppers all together and there has not been a single hiss or growl. What the heck!?

I guess Nito is just comfortable when he's in his own territory, where he feels he is king. I'm still not gonna leave Rusty alone with him though.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Wow! That's wonderful. It's about time you caught a break. I hope Rusty sails through his dental work.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too. He really needs it bad. I'll be drawing his blood tomorrow morning and running his bloodwork myself. If ANYTHING looks off, he's not going to get the dental, we aren't taking any risks especially since he's around 10 years old.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His blood tests came out perfect. That's not saying anything for how his blood draws went :-(

I feel simply awful. Having my boyfriend restrain this morning didn't work out. I got one sample for his CBC but I needed another for his chem panel and Andrew didn't hold off his vein when I was done and he got two big hematomas one on each leg. Andrew also kept letting go when he struggled and so the whole attempt was just a mess. So he had to come into school this afternoon after class to have his blood taken from his medial femoral veins (hind inner leg). Those veins are notoriously rolly and fragile and I blew it both times. Now he has four hematomas, and four shaved legs, and clearly visible bruising. In the end my instructor took blood from his jugular vein because I was ready to cry and shaking. I'm feeling horrible about this- guilty, sick to my stomach, and also completely imcompentent. I can't believe what I did to Rusty. I can usually always hit any vein I attempt, it's a skill I've been quite proud of up until now. :-(

I'm about to head back to Janesville to take Rusty home. I'm gonna stop at the store and get him some shredded turkey. Hopefully that will make up for what I did to him. :'(

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Awww...that's too bad. I'm sure the turkey will go a long way to making him happy though! Did he have the dental work done?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems that my bribery has paid off, Rusty is back in his own home and purring in my lap as I type this. They say all vet techs have days where they can't hit a vein to save their lives, and I guess today was that day for me. I am comforted knowing that Rusty seems to have forgotten about it already.

Today was just his bloodwork, his dental is next Thursday.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
We all have bad days, no matter what we do. I'm glad he's forgetten everything. Cats can be very forgiving. At least the blood test results were perfect, so soon he will have healthy teeth!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts