Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first cat recently passed and am looking for a new cat. I have several questions. My deceased cat was a Flame Point Siamese. He was very vocal #2 cat just chirps. My research indicates that vocalization is normal with Siamese. I looked forward to hearing his meowing to greet me when I came home from work. I started looking for another cat today.

I went to the local shelter today and a beautiful solid black, except for white socks on all paws, came up to the cage. It was reaching through cage at me. I intend to go back tomorrow and take the cat into the bonding room.

I also went to the local Petco that brokers cats for the Humane Society and saw a flame point. He laid back for a little while and then came to the front of the cage meowing.

I know you can't make the dicission for me, but would greatly love your experienced thoughts.

1) The black and white one was telling me, "Take me home." Really geting to my heart. My concern is the vocalization. Really loved that from my deceased cat. My second cat is solid black and doesn't meow at all. Is the vocal as Siamese trait? Can other cats be just as vocal?

2) The Flame Point at Petco toke a while to come to the front of the cage, but when he came to the front he was meowing. I need go there tomorrow and ask to get him out.

3) I would like to get them both, but would be in the doghouse with the wife. If I were to get them both, would there be a problem housing them in the same saferoom during introductions to the resident cat? Would introduction go better or worse introducing 2 cats at the same time to the resident cat? I worry about this, because I had a hard time with introductions with my 2nd cat. #2 the remaining cat was aggresive to #1.

4) Both cats I am concidering are around 1 yeaold. Would I be better off with a kitten? Would a kitten be easier to harness train than a 1 year old?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ack I was not done. Having said that when my dear Ginny passed away I wanted a completely different cat. I didn't think it was fair for the new cat to have to live up to what I had with Ginny. Ginny can never be replaced, so by getting a cat that is different in just about every way, it made it easier to bond.

Just food for thought, at the end of the day you have to decide, but even with getting a breed that is generally more vocal, there's no guarantee he or she will do that exact thing you're looking for.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ack I was not done. Having said that when my dear Ginny passed away I wanted a completely different cat. I didn't think it was fair for the new cat to have to live up to what I had with Ginny. Ginny can never be replaced, so by getting a cat that is different in just about every way, it made it easier to bond.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks. That puts my mind in a different line of thought. I really thought the the black cat with white socks was screaming at to me. "TAKE ME HOME NOW." We will see when I go to the shelter tomorrow and ask to take it to the bonding room.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
1) The black and white one was telling me, "Take me home." Really geting to my heart. My concern is the vocalization. Really loved that from my deceased cat. My second cat is solid black and doesn't meow at all. Is the vocal as Siamese trait? Can other cats be just as vocal?

Being vocal is a Siamese trait, and they also often have a very raspy meow. That said, plently of Siamese have neither of these things, and plently of cats that have no Siamese in them whatsoever are just as vocal.

I used to have meowing conversations with Blaze, and he was just an orange and white feral kitten. Jasper can meow quite a bit too, but a little less on the 'conversation' front unless I'm holding breakfast/dinner. Blacky doesn't meow too often unless for a purpose. Every cat is different.

2) The Flame Point at Petco toke a while to come to the front of the cage, but when he came to the front he was meowing. I need go there tomorrow and ask to get him out.
I'm not sure what your question is? :p But! Keep in mind a cat meowing at a shelter a lot could just be that they're under stress, and a cat not meowing can also just mean that they're under stress. Often a silent cat can blossom into a real talker once they know you and are conformable in their surroundings.

3) I would like to get them both, but would be in the doghouse with the wife. If I were to get them both, would there be a problem housing them in the same saferoom during introductions to the resident cat? Would introduction go better or worse introducing 2 cats at the same time to the resident cat? I worry about this, because I had a hard time with introductions with my 2nd cat. #2 the remaining cat was aggresive to #1.
This is a pretty huge thing. Often cats do not get along on initial introduction, and I would suggest a different safe room unless they appear to get along and you have them interacting together long enough to gauge that they would be ok in a single room together for a prolonged period. Ask the shelter workers what their options are on each of these cats and if you think they will get along in a single room together.

Introducing the cats at the same time could be very overwhelming to your resident cat as well. Each cat will adapt to other cats individually, though. Your cat may get along really quickly with one of the cats and not the other one -- ever, for example. Just like people, some we never see eye to eye with.

Considering your wife is only on board for one I would stick to that number. Two at once I can imagine could be very stressful not only for the two cats (if they don't get along and must also be introduced to each other) but also for your resident kitty. It's a pretty overwhelming idea to introduce three cats to each other all at the same time; the introduction process can take months.

Try and get a cat that closely matches your own cats personality, though. If you have a cat that is extremely playful and will want to play with your cat that is not good if she doesn't want to play.
4) Both cats I am concidering are around 1 yeaold. Would I be better off with a kitten? Would a kitten be easier to harness train than a 1 year old?
You are not better off with a kitten. Kittens get into so much trouble. Even one year old cats can be a big handful. At one they should adapt fine with time, but it's also doing to come down to individual personality. Some cats may take to the outdoors right away at any age, others not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Spend time with each. Hang out have playing sessions, pets and cuddles, conversations. You'll get an idea of which cat (maybe both) wants to adopt you the more time you spend. Sometimes it doesn't take very much time. Nala adopted me by my second visit to her.

Always take introductions slowly. If you adopt both, treat it as a 3-way introduction - no one knows either of the others so have three distinct areas in mind, if possible. It would be very likely more stressful on the resident cat (and maybe the wife?) to bring home two.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Go back and spend some time with each one. Siamese are known to be particularly vocal and to carry on conversations with their owner. I wouldn't advise getting 2 new cats. One intro will be enough of a change for your resident cat to adjust to.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Artie is a DSH orange and white tabby.
He did not talk much at first--his previous owner said he was quiet.
The more I have spoken to him, the more he talked to me!
It is now at the point where we have 'conversations".
He tells me all about his day, when I come home from work.
He is always yelling at me for something I forgot to do..:wolfie

I think it is a matter of how much talking you do to your kittie.

I also taught Artie to say 'Out"---in cat language.
Ouuuuuwww!

It also means, open the door!

I have a balcony. I told him that he had to learn how to say 'out' if he wanted to go out. I did the vocalization and he imitated me. Now, it is one of his language words and he does know the meaning of it! :catsm

ps.
Artie is only allowed on the balcony when I am with him-never alone. 8)

If it were me, I would go for the one which is 'calling' you........JMO

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
My Annie was a mixed breed black and white and was quiet vocal! She would actually yell at me at times - furrowed brow, whiskers forward and all! It was so cute to get yelled at by that cat yet she could be so affectionate.

I have two b/w cats now, Missy and Jack. Missy trills and Jack is just about mute. Almost never makes a sound. I don't mind. I accept them for who they are. I don't miss meowing after Annie and now have 5 indoor cats that rarely make a sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts